25-06 ackley

dud

currently building a 25-06 ackley.data seems scarce,can someone tell me where to look?or send me some.im trying to stay 100 gr bullets or less.i already know to go to parent case loads and work up but i am trying to keep my powder buying to a minimum if that is possible. thanks

IMR 4831 and 7828 seem to be some of the better powders to use. Also depending on what its panned us is PD and Coyotes the 100 grain Nosler BT is good but for Antelope and Deer you might be missing the boat by passing over the Berget 115. Really great cartridge. Remember to anneal your cases as the trip the shoulder makes can be a bit rough on them. Once there case life is great.

My gun is a tight neck chamber and I use 57G of 4831sc under a 100G smk 3366 velocity The rifle is sighted in at 300 yards and a 500 yard shot on a hog is well getting sort of boring. Now The smk is not a very good bullet for varmints but when they shoot groups in the high 2s there hard to pass up.

got a 10 twist 4 grove 28 inch coming friday,cant wait to put it together.should be interesting

I did some shooting with mine yesterday I shot a few groups at 300 yards around 1 1/2 and Ended up with a 5 shot group of 1 1/4 at 400 yards. 3" is more of a normal group for mine at that distance but I was not complaining.

Just started playing with mine on a serious note this past weekend. In some rather loose preliminary testing last year it showed the best promise with the 120gr loads using Ramshot Magnum.

Mine however was built from the start to shoot the heavier bullets. I used a 1-9 Broughton 5C 4-1 Heavy Sporter in 28". When it was chambered I had a bit extra added to the throat to allow for the bullets to be seated out a bit and give a little more room in the case and jump on the bullet. I was looking to get the best velocity from the heavier bullets and to try and keep pressure a bit lower on top end loads, and hopefully keep them a bit tighter at some longer ranges. I figured that I would just stick to weights above 110 with this one, and see how it does. I would rather have the added BC, and SD for the feral hogs we shoot than the speed of the lighter weights.

The standard version I have simply loves RL-22, and I considered looking at it with this one as well, but in testing last year, it was showing inconsistent velocity and wasn't grouping nearly as well as what the Magnum does at any load.

Good luck with yours, and don't pass up a chance to try the Magnum if you have access to it, it has show to be VERY consistent in mine, but might be a bit slow for the lighter bullets. In the first link below my sig are a couple of pic's of the rifle and the two hogs I dropped with it last weekend. It was a fun time to say the least., well other than the cleaning part. Sure made for a good supper though on Saturday evening. Nothing like fresh BBQ ribs.

lots of good info on here,nice pics 41 mag.wish we had some feral hogs that would be fun.just got yotes,groundhogs and crows to shoot at.

wish we had some feral hogs that would be fun.just got yotes,groundhogs and crows to shoot at.

Yea everybody says that until the get some, then all they want is rid of them.

The new rifle is in the Hunting 2010 folder, the other one is the .270 AM or might be the AI in the other stock, can't remember which ones are on that first page. LOL

The most accurate / consistant powder that gave great velocity was IMR-4831 with WLR primers. The WLR primers fit too loose so I use the CCI BR2's. 56 grains of IMR 4831 always shot 3427 through my chronograph with an es of around 5 fps. Not that this means anything but I shot a 2 shot group at a plate of steel 700 yards away and it measured 1.25". I come up with a bc around .630 for the 115 vlds. Very very impressive still going 2000 fps at 1000 yards with around 1000 ft/lbs of energy. I have shot rocks out to 1000 yards and 16.3 MOA got me there with a 200 yard zero, do the math :)

I have test data for the 115 VLD using all sorts of primers and powders. Powders I tested were H-4831 sc, IMR 7828 sc, H-1000, Retumbo, RL-19 and IMR-4831. IMR-4350 and IMR-4831 are two powders that could cover everything a 25-06 needs. I have more load data from a bench shooter if you are interested.

I copied that from another thread. I am still in the process of testing RL-17 but so far I am not seeing this magical 100-200 fps extra over IMR 4831. Actually they seem to be about the same for burn rate and powder charge. 54.5 and 55 grains seem to be the sweet spot. Both shot a .7" group at 200 yards around 3340 for 54.5 grains and 3370 with 55 g's. Interesting test a buddy and I both have the same chronograph. We lined them both up and his being the furthest one away read 30-40 fps faster than mine. Pro-Chronograph from Competition electronics. Just keep in mind not everyones chronographs are equal when comparing numbers.

The real results are from drop test. What is also interesting is sometimes one chronograph was within 5 fps for the same load while the other chronograph 15 fps difference.

We have been doing a lot of loading with different calibers using r17 and have found that it works better if u stay with a bullet that is in the middle or on the lower end of the bullet selection. the 25-06 ai that we shoot it in shoots a 100 gr barns tsx at 3610 ave and I shot some in a regular 25-06 with the same bullet 53gr and it shot 3420 average. Also tried it in a 243 80 gr ttsx barnes and it shot 3340. Shot it in my 243 ai and 87 gr bullet and it wasn't that impressive so we are now at magpro after trying r19 , r22, r17

all these loads are out of my gun so don't use them unless you work up to them starting from a lower powder charge. gun).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.