25/06 Ackley Info

Moen

A friend of mine is getting a 25/06 Ackley built with a 26" 1-10 twist barrel.He doesnt have access to a computer.Having hard time finding info on it.Basically looking for load info and what length to trim the cases.
Anyone out there had any experiance with this round and know what direction to steer me in to find more updated info on the web.Any help would be appreciated.

In 1987 I purchased a Sako Sporter (L61R Action) in 25/06 calibre, which I tested and chronographed various loads, used in the field (Australia) as a hunting rifle on medium game such as feral goats, pigs, kangaroos, emus, and with also some use on rabbits, and foxes.

After some 400 shots, I had it rechambered using the existing barrel, to the 25/06 Ackley Improved with 40 degree shoulder.

I found that capacity of the standard 25/06 case increased from 65.8 grains (new brass), and 68.0 grains (fired) to 72.2 grains after fireforming in the Ackley chamber.

Using the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, I found that velocity increased from 3320 fps using 56.0 grains IMR 4831 to 3,550 fps (in the Ackley) using 60 grains IMR 4831.

Using the 120 grain Nosler SPBT, I found that velocity increased from about 3,100 fps using 56.0 grains IMR 7828, to 3320 fps (in the Ackley) using 60.0 grains IMR 7828.

I have been using the 100 grain ballistic tip, and its performance on medium game has been terrific.

I have now fired some 1600 shots in the rifle, and the throat has eroded about .250 inches, and while I would normally rebarrel a rifle at this stage, it is still shooting well, so I have decided to continue to use it for a while.

Recently, I had a custom 25/06 (Sako L61R action, shilen SS barrel) returned to by the South Australian Police, after it was stolen from me back in 1983. I handed it to my gunsmith about 1 month ago for rechambering to the Ackley improved, so I will soon have 2 rifles in this calibre.

Just a word of warning, I have noticed that there is a wide variation in reloading data for the same bullet weights in this calibre, so there is obviously a considerable difference in chamber dimensions and subsequent case capacity, so as always when working up loads be conservative.

I have found that when working up to maximum pressure using fireformed cases, if you start with what would be a near maximum - maximum load in a standard 25/06 case, you will be pretty safe.

If you want my chronograph load data, just email me and I will send it to you.

Regards, Brian.

Kyle,

There are a couple of "general rules" working with Ackleys, BUT they are not "hard/fast" rules with every case that has been improved. An example is the 2 AI's that I have use same trim to length as the parent case. But there are several cases that come to mind as the 2-250 AI & the 280 AI which show .020 shy of the parent. So this question is best answered by the Gunsmith building your friends gun, besides he has control over several factors that may influence the case length. The best answers are to consult with the smith or determine it himself....

Starting loads with AI's are again rule of thumb. Myself, I start at/or about 90% max of parent cartridge. Working with a chronograph and watching for psi is the only way to determine "good" loads for the individual rifle. Bearing in mind, each rifle will perform different than the next even if made to same specs & using same components.

You have a wealth of info at your fingertips, but caution must be excercised. I have Leon storing for me the past 10 yrs of Precision Shooting magazines. There are numerous articles on Ackleys and his cartridges in that collection. Why excersize caution? Cause I am extremly over protective of my "PS Library" and wish to keep them in great shape.. Talk to Leon and maybe he will take a peek within for ya..

If you have any other questions, email me and I'll help ya out best I can.

Nodak

I guess he is looking for bullet weights in the range of 75-87 mainly,possibly 100grains wahtever shoots the best with a 1-10 twist.He will mainly be using this for coyotes or other varmints out there a ways.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts