25-06 Ackley Improved velocities

Is Krieger the only barrel you are willing to use? Other excellent barrels are out there, but there is no guarantee on the wait time. I ordered a custom barrel from CarbonSix and their current wait time is 4.5-5.5 months. Also, IIWY, I would order the barrel myself. Barrel manufacturers have different lead times, call them directly or find a distributor that carries multiple barrels that might have your requirements.
its not the only barrel Im willing to use, I have looked at different brands and discussed those with him but as a first custom rifle for me Im letting my smith pick as I have no experience with different barrels just that I wanted a higher end brand even if it meant waiting longer. I saw that I could order barrels myself but aside from being overwhelmed with all the options it seems the 25 caliber is much less common and not regularly stocked as a blank.

Am only shooting the NOSLER'S 100-117 gr. Have you decided on your bullet weight ? The last few loads I did were the 115 gr BT & Silvertips. Have a boat load of these from my buddies shop days.
The days I use my 25/06 I use 120gr Nosler SPBT. They were a great bullet for me. They don't build them anymore. I would go to there 115gr and Sierra 117gr. With the all copper bullets I will go to a 1-7 twist rate I believe.

its not the only barrel Im willing to use, I have looked at different brands and discussed those with him but as a first custom rifle for me Im letting my smith pick as I have no experience with different barrels just that I wanted a higher end brand even if it meant waiting longer. I saw that I could order barrels myself but aside from being overwhelmed with all the options it seems the 25 caliber is much less common and not regularly stocked as a blank.
That's your option, but for all my custom build rifles, I acquired all components and prevented any stovepipe waiting time from my gunsmith.

ADDED: Here are some .25 cal Krieger barrels in stock, but all are 1:10" >>>https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=barrels_krieger_25 A fast twist .25 cal is considerably knew and not being mass-produced.

Last edited:
That's your option, but for all my custom build rifles, I acquired all components and prevented any stovepipe waiting time from my gunsmith.
My first rodeo... :p
Im seeing its an option and when Ive looked I get overwhelmed with all the options especially in contours, rifling types. But then in the top brands I would consider, to get a 25cal in 7 or 7.5 twist is a custom order, and Im back to the same wait time.
That said, what Ive learned though is I could order one myself and still have my rifle in hand while I wait. I think thats the only real difference here, maybe.

My first rodeo... :p
Im seeing its an option and when Ive looked I get overwhelmed with all the options especially in contours, rifling types. But then in the top brands I would consider, to get a 25cal in 7 or 7.5 twist is a custom order, and Im back to the same wait time.
That said, what Ive learned though is I could order one myself and still have my rifle in hand while I wait. I think thats the only real difference here, maybe.
We all started like you but believe me, this will not be your last.

We all started like you but believe me, this will not be your last.
Oh please tell me if I take care of this new barrel it will last the rest of my life?
This 25-06 has been the main workhorse taking everything I hunt my whole life Im really a one gun guy in this case.

Oh please tell me if I take care of this new barrel it will last the rest of my life?
This 25-06 has been the main workhorse taking everything I hunt my whole life Im really a one gun guy in this case.
You are more disciplined than most of us then. I used to say the same thing; over 5 decades later, it multiplied significantly.

You are more disciplined than most of us then. I used to say the same thing; over 5 decades later, it multiplied significantly.
Oh I feel the pull definitely. What makes this rifle special is the senitmental value plus back then I couldnt afford a new rifle so I learned to use this. Ive caught some flak from hunters using it on elk so I've thought about getting something bigger, now I can afford one but decided Im going to keep using it since its simply worked for me.

I do not mind different headstamps on brass vs what the caliber is. I dip the base of the case in 1" of Instant Gun blue, and the bottom of the case turns a very dark color and stays that way for many sizings. This is a signal for me to check the caliber.

I make a lot of cases out of 308 brass and Lapua 30/06 brass. The darkened part on the bottom of the brass is a "pay attention" kind of note to myself.

I reload at the rifle range. Once I was working up a load for a custom 7 STW and a custom 7 Mag at the same time. I got tired after a while and fired a 7 Mag in the 7 STW. Nothing happened but the neck on the 7 Mag was about 1/8" long. I have made that mistake one time, and one time only, never again. Same thing with having several powders on the loading bench at the same time...never have confused powders.

I am careful on my set ups to reload. I load for several different calibers and gauges. Pistol included. Presently everything is broken down, in Montana mostly. I do reload at my son home there in Montana as I need it. I'll be glad to get back and my own place to set up and reload at. I only place what I am going to use on the bench. The balance is placed somewhere else.

I am careful on my set ups to reload. I load for several different calibers and gauges. Pistol included. Presently everything is broken down, in Montana mostly. I do reload at my son home there in Montana as I need it. I'll be glad to get back and my own place to set up and reload at. I only place what I am going to use on the bench. The balance is placed somewhere else.
In response too post #102 Douglas Barrels has a fast turnaround, I built a 25-284 last year with a 1-8 twist air gaged stainless xx barrel and couldn't be happier , it will stabilize the 117 gr hammer absolutes that require a 1-8.5 twist , personally I won't be shooting anything heavier in the 25 cal . I have buil several other rifles in the last few years using Bartlien and Proof barrels , which I prefer but didn't won't too wait a year . I really can't tell a difference in accuracy with the Douglas barrels, they have been around for a long time.

I have had rifles built with Douglas barrel in the past. This it the first one with Bartlien barrel. I will try them again for a 25/280AI build I am planning on.