25.06 Ackley Improved, powder choices, and load info!

7stw

Hey guys, picked up a beauty of a rifle this summer, in 25.06ai. It shoots 4831sc pretty well. I've got the fireforming thing down pretty well, which initially, I thought I was going to dread, but it's really no big deal. Just looking for a few thoughts, and formulas that have worked for you. I'm curious to how it performs with RL16, RL17, and imr4831 as well. As we all know, published info is hard to find, except Sierra's manual, but it dosent list 16, or 17.
As always, thanks in advance. This thing is a beast. Love it. Thoughts?

RL 23 shines in this cartridge
I read that somewhere. I'm shooting the formula that the rifle came with, with 4831sc, with 87 grain Fowler match bullets, at 3600. I can shoot, 80ttsx, with same formula, at unknown speed, ( haven't choreographed it yet), and very accurate. I have a few samples loaded with 110 Hornady eldx, and 100 grain spire points. Would like to see what 100ttsx will do. First attempt wasn't good. Thanks for response.

In mine I'm running RL23

115 HVLD @ 3450
100 TTSX @ 3610
Wow, that's crazy. Imgetting 3600 with 87 grain Fowler bullet, .2, .3 accuracy. I love the 100 ttsx. Mine will also shoot the 80ttsx, in a dot. My first attempt with the 100ttsx wasn't the best, but I think I needed to seat it a little deeper. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey guys, picked up a beauty of a rifle this summer, in 25.06ai. It shoots 4831sc pretty well. I've got the fireforming thing down pretty well, which initially, I thought I was going to dread, but it's really no big deal. Just looking for a few thoughts, and formulas that have worked for you. I'm curious to how it performs with RL16, RL17, and imr4831 as well. As we all know, published info is hard to find, except Sierra's manual, but it dosent list 16, or 17.
As always, thanks in advance. This thing is a beast. Love it. Thoughts?
I have had good results with RL25 and Berger 115VLD's.

RL16, RL23, sounds good, and my favorite, RL25. I'm thinking 16 is the Bees knees!
They'll all get it down for you. I chose RL 23 because 1) I shoot the heavier bullets and it gave me the most consistency lowest sd's an es of all other powders I tried. 2) it has a de-coppering agent. 3) it is extremely temp stable compared to other Alliant powders and 4) I use it in other rifles like my 280ai.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.