25-06 Ackley Imp or 280 Ackley Imp?

Why not?

I just lucked into these two rifles, both built on Ruger Model 77s, both with #4 contour 27" Shilen barrels, and both very accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would like to use the 25 for wolf and caribou hunting at long range, but have no experience at all with hunting bullets in this caliber other than the 120 Hornady hollow point that I used on a Dall ram.

Actually, shooting big game at long range is going to be a brand new pursuit for me. I don't know if I will ever become competent ehough to try it. Have hunted for more than forty years, more than thirty of them in the Yukon and taken literally tons of big game, but with two exceptions it has all been at less than 400 yards.

Any way, if I do get around to pulling the trigger on something a long ways out there I sure don't want to be using a bullet that won't work. What bullet would you guys recommend for this purpose in the 25-06 AI?

.........or would I be better off using the 280?

Thanks,
Ted

I had no Complaints with a 100 Grain or 120 Nosler Partition... granted accuracy is not as good as the Ballistic tips but were only talking by a little but the performance is way better! I mainly hunted Hogs here in California with my 25AI I can remember one day I got three consecutive kills ranging from 400-490+ all were one shot kills with 120 Partitions, The 25 AI with Partitions is a real Critter Getter!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Having owned a 280 AI and thinking that it is one of the best AI, I would go with more power and bullet selection and favor the 280. At really long ranges, you'll find that the 284 bullets will usually outperform the lighter bullets both in trajectory, energy, and performance. Run out the two rounds on a good ballistics program and you'll be able to make an informed decision. I would rather be overgunned than under, especially up where you live. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Why Not?

With the new bullets on the market in .257" like the 110 gr Accubond, and the custom bullets out there like the bonded core bullets from Wildcat Bullets, the 25-06 and the 25-06 Imp are much more effective on big game then ever before.

For wolf and deer size game, I would stay with the 25-06 Imp. For the larger Caribou, I would go with the heavier bullet of the 280 AI.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If I had to only choose one, I would go 280AI. With 162gr Amax/SST, you can hunt just about anything this side of 800yds.

Jerry

Thanks very much guys. The more I think about this the more I think the 280 is the way to go.

Ted

Okay, guys, I have the 25 going 3700 with 100 gr partitions into an inch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyone used this bullet at all. I know the 120 will shoot flatter, however just wondering if anyone has used it on game?

The 2506 is a great round ive had great luck with 100gr. barns triple shock on deer and black bear the 85gr. on coyotes and groundhogs easy to load and factory ammo is readily avlb. good luck with eather round

Used 100 grn partitions in a standard 25-06 on mule deer and antelope. They are reliable- break bones and penetrate.

If you want to have some fun with small stuff, load up some 75 grain hollow points. They are really fast out of a standard 25-06 and should just be screaming out of the AI.

No one could possibly tell me the trajectory of your .25-06AI Varmint rounds?
Or if you have ballistic software, tell me an estimate on the trajectory and velocity of an 85gn BT infront of 60gns of 2213sc?
What are your varmint loads doing?

Appreciate it

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Skip AI
I was referring to a "standard" "factory" 25-06 cartridge not an AI and I think so was Marlow. I was shooting this gun (a custom heavy barrel on an enfield action, I believe)back in 1973 out in Missouri. The gun was traded away, and then in 1976 I got a second 25-06 and traded it away also. That is the trouble with being poor, you just can't afford to keep the good ones. I can go to my loading logs and pull out the loads I was shooting but they don't do any good for an AI. The little 75 grain bullet comes out of the barrel around 3700 fps in a standard 25-06 so I would expect you can get a hundred or so more fps out of the AI and this will cause a big SPLAT when it hits. If there is some ground hog size stuff to shoot in Alaska (or Australia) then one can have some fun.

How much and what kind of powder are you useing to push a 100grainer at 3700fps????
Any idea what 60gns of 2213sc behind a 85gn BT out of a 26" barrel would be doin???? ANYONE!!!???
I would buy a chrony but I just brought 2 new rifles -$ ,

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.