25/06 115 VLD with Retumbo powder

timberpatch

I have worked up a load with the Berger 115 gr. Vld and 59.5 grs. of retumbo in a Savage 112 26" stainless barrel that's shooting 1/4 " groups or less at 100 yds. I do not have access to a chrono, but was estimating the velocity to be around 3075 fps. using the Hodgdon manual and what Berger sent me to come to this number. I was looking at some other loads published on here and other sites and was seeing a big difference in the velocities, + 200 fps on some loads. Could some of you give me a better estimate of what my velocity should be? Also has anyone notice how dirty your barrel will get shooting retumbo powder? Seems worse to me than shooting other powders.

I have tried that exact same load in my Savage 112 25-06 and the best I could get at 200 yards was 1 1/2". Are you jumping the bullet or touching the lands?

My chrony said that load was going about 3130fps. I didn't notice retumbo being dirtier but, i did seem to heat my barrel up faster than H4350.

Mudbug

If you check the Nosler site, they list the 110 g bullet getting 3267 with 59 g of retumbo in a 24" barrel. I was getting just over 3300 in my 26" barrel with about the same load. With a 115 g bullet you can expect about 80-90 fps less. I'm guessing you should be getting close to 3200 fps or more with 59.5 g of Retumbo and the 115 VLD out of a 26" barrel. Your drops will confirm whatever getting.

With RL17, I was getting just about 3510 with the 110 and 3405 with the 115 Ballistic silvertip.

Mark

I use the rcbs precision mic and home made modified case to seat the bullet just touching the lands. C.o.a.l. was running 3.315 if I remember right and can still feed thru the magazine. I'm still holding groups a little under an inch at 200 yds.
The difference in drop is what got me to looking at my velocity. I had used JBM ballistics calculator to see where I should be at 200 and 300 yds. but there was about 1.250" difference at 200 yds. Haven't shot 300 yds. yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.