25-06/100g NBT's/Retumbo/400 yards

remingtonman_25_06

Got out yesterday and shot a few loads at 400 yards. Wind was maybe a couple MPH from the left. Temp of 40 degrees. Shot from a bench. 3 shot groups at 400 yards. Loads were 100g NBT's, 60g, 60.5g, 61g of Retumbo, Winchester case and Winchester WLR primer. Think I will stick with 61g for 3540fps and 1 3/4" at 400 yards. Will be an awesome LR coyote and will still do the job for deer.

All 3 loads were fired with no scope changes. Went up 4.1 MOA from a 100 yards zero, 3500fps. Wind was blowing from the left a couple MPH. The loads are marked with a circle for 60g, vertical line for 60.5g, and a horizontal line for 61g.

34h810l.jpg

Is this just a 24" barrel?

Your velocities seem to be unusually high given that your load of 60.5 is the max listed load by hodgdon for a 117 grain bullet and they are only getting about 3000fps.

It looks interesting for me to try it with mine. I have a 26" barrel. I was thinking of switching to 100 grain smk's and reloder 22, but if your numbers are for real, I am definately going to look at retumbo.

Yes, 24" light varmint shilen.

Dont know what it is with this rifle, but it shoots Retumbo really fast and quite accurate. Actually shoots fast with every powder/bullet combo tried, but inparticular Retumbo. Not to sure what it is with the rifle/chamber, but it seems to produce velocities that are anywhere from 100-200fps over book, while using 3-4g LESS powder.

58.5g Retumbo behind a 115g VLD gives me 3275fps out of the same rifle.

Retumbo might be worth a try. My dads going to give it a shot in his Ruger with 100g NBT's soon as well.

Heck I"m gaining a good 200fps over other powders with same bullet weights. Right on the heels of a 257 WM as a matter of fact.

I'm not complaining...

What made you try retumbo? I would have thought it was too slow. Have you tried Reloder 25? What has been your results with any other really slow powders in the 2506?

I would be happy with those velocities out of mine with 85 grain bullets.

I think I'd shoot a five shot string with the 60.5 and 61 to see if the 60.5 had the better vertical again. I think I'd give up some speed for less vertical. Nice shooting.

I agree, definitely take a harder look at 60.5 gr load. That group had about 30% less vertical than your 61 gr load. I'm sure alot of the horizontal is mostly due to wind reading. Just my .02 cents.

What made you try retumbo? I would have thought it was too slow. Have you tried Reloder 25? What has been your results with any other really slow powders in the 2506?

I would be happy with those velocities out of mine with 85 grain bullets.
I am using RE25 in my 24" barreled 25-06, velocities are almost exactly the same with Retumbo, but RE25 was more accurate in my rifle.
Velocities are: 100gr NBT's 3577fps, 110gr NAB's 3344fps and 115gr NP's 3268fps.
All loads have been chrono'd and pressure tested, neither RE25 or Retumbo work well with bullets lighter than 100gr, but RE22 will give you more than 3600fps with 85gr NBT's.
If you would like load data, PM me, and I will give you the details.

BigHink66,
Very nice shooting there, brother!
I have many buddies that don't believe their own eyes when I get my 25-06 out on my own 900yrd range, it makes their 243's look like scatter guns.
I normally shoot at 600yds, and have shot groups in the .2MoA, no wind, while my buddies 243's were lucky to get 3MoA at 300yds.
It's just a wonderful cartridge, the 25-06.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

MagnumManiac

What's the biggest game you hunt with your 25-06?

Distance and other specs are welcome.

thanks

Remingtonman 25-06:

That is a very nice group. I love the 25-06...Have 3 of them---Remington 700 Sendero, Ruger 1 V and Ruger 1B. I too have wondered about Retumbo in the 25-06 and will try some with the 100 grain Sierra match king, and the 87 and 115 Grain Bergers.

Previously I shot some great groups in my Ruger 1B with the Sierra 100 grain match king, Remington 9 1/2 Magnum primer and 52 Grains of H4831.

My hunting load that shoots well in my Ruger 1B and groups tight is 110 grain Nosler Accubond with a Federal 210 LR primer and 53.5 grains of Reloader 22.

I would suspect that your 115 Bergers will do better than your initial group and would be interested in what your loads are when they tighten up?

Antelopehunter

MagnumManiac

What's the biggest game you hunt with your 25-06?

Distance and other specs are welcome.

thanks
pretex,
The biggest game I hunt, in Australia, are Fallow deer, about the same size as 'speed goat', with the 25-06.
We also have Sambar deer, not as heavy/big as Elk, but IMHO, they are tougher.
I have used it for them, but the State I live in, the 25-06 is not legal for these animals, other States have now brought in the same laws, minimum calibre on Sambar is 270.

As to long distance shooting, I primarily hunt pigs and goats @ ranges beyond 500yds, and the occasional deer.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.