245 Berger in 300 RUM

are you running into any pressure? 83 seems very low w/n570
Yes. Slight ejector print on virgin/ once fired cases. I get ejector "swipe" with virgin unfired cases too though.
Spoke to Berger and their data (quickload) with N570 was 79.9-87.8 gr/ 2517-2769 fps.

Going to try some Rem cases and see if any difference. This is the second barrel that pressured up fast with ADG cases.

that's weird .. run em out to the lands and set back .020" and run a ladder up to say 87-90gr in say rem or norma brass... you should be north of 3K

I had two identical Carbon six barrels in 338 that were SLOOWWWWWW .... but i had a Mcgowen in regular SS that were fire breathers

berger has always been on the modest side..

that's weird .. run em out to the lands and set back .020" and run a ladder up to say 87-90gr in say rem or norma brass... you should be north of 3K

I did that with the virgin ADG cases and got to 86.6gr at .020" off. Only 2843fps before she sped up.

May do as you suggested as the velocity with these isn't what I had hoped to get.

Figured I would provide an update.

Changed to a chassis so loading a little shorter.

245 Berger
Rem Cases (virgin)
85gr N570
Fed 215mag primers
COAL 3.743" average to fit Accurate Mag. /2.906" CBTO with a good jump to the lands.

2832 FPS with an ES of 11. Not as fast as I would have hoped, but not crazy about single feeding on a chassis.

My groups are descent, but I cannot load any higher than these low end charges as I am seeing pressure signs. My velocities are close to what Berger gave me on the higher end, so I guess I should be happy. Seeing the speeds you are getting would be nice and definitely make it viable in the cartridge.

May just stick with the 215Y

Only issue I had with 300 RUM ADG brass was the necks were thicker than other brands snd caused early pressure because of not enough clearance

I too have found ADG to pressure up before expected with multiple cartridges. Like midway through Berger's load data (their quickload info provided seems to be conservative).

That is why I am working with the Remington cases now.

Groups were better loaded longer with the Wyatts box, however, not really looking to single feed. They are still decent though.

Your groups are descent. Is this a ladder? You are descending down the ladder? You found the node?

I didn't do a traditional ladder. In these big cases I run one round up a grain apart, looking for pressure. Once I find that, I will typically back off my load a few grains and load .5gr increments below where I saw the pressure signs looking for a forgiving "node". If I get several groups that are similar, I will usually pick the tightest/middle of them and tune seating depth. Again, looking for similar seating depth to produce similar groups/forgiving.

I had this for complete with ADG brass, but wasn't happy with velocity, so started over with the Rem cases. Still slower than what I thought it was capable of.

from the research I've done should be able to run these 245's up to about 3000fps (or maybe more) using N570. with a 30" tube.
My RUM is actually currently getting fitted with a 32" barrel so I will find out for sure soon. I had planned to start at 90 grains and work up from there but after reading this I think I'm gonna back it down to 83 gr and work up just for safety. I will try and report back with what I find.

Recent Posts