.244 Ackley and 1000 yards

dbhostler

Just been working a load for a .244 Ackley and would like to shoot it 1000 yds. The 107gr VLD bullet is out of the 1 in 8 muzzle at 3000 fps. At a BC of over .500, will this round be worth the effort, or should I work on something else? I also have a 30-06 Ackley 1/10 and a factory 7 Mag that shoots very well. Your knowledge is desired here.
Tim

are you talking competitive 1000 yd br or what? The caliber is ok, a little on light side, but really depends on the gun setup. Caliber with right setup will be competitive at 1000 unless wind blows, then the 6.5 and 30 cal have the edge.

What are you trying to do and where at?

IBS clubs in NC and VA have a factory class and clubs starting in iowa and ohio.

Thanks for your reply. I have never shot 1000 yds at paper but recently have attended a couple of 1000 yd matches at a local club. I have ask the members if I could take a crack at it and they said ok. I'm lined up the 28th to shoot. I have a Remington VSF rebarreled with a very heavy stainless Krieger 1/8. I have cast the chamber and turn the cases accordingly. The bullets are seated in a die that the smith made when he cut the chamber. The gun shoots under an inch at 400 yds, which is what I have it sighted in for. The scope is a Leupold 12X AO with standard mounts. I really don't want to spend the money to upgrade this rifle until I find out if it will go the distance, so to speak. The matches here are various ones including F class which is what I would probably shoot in if I can find one of my weapons will fit the bill.
Tim

Tim(db),

Glad to see you over here! Hope things are well in Rye-oh Illinois too.

For my .02, I'd lean toward the 244, especially since you have the load work done & it's not an unpleasant piece to shoot.

The 7mag you have has a lighter barrel if I remember correctly? I don't know if that would hold up to the 25+ round strings you'd be shooting in F-class without having some stringing. Not to mention the recoil in a light boomer like that.

The 244 will get there & probably do fine. It'll also teach you more about the wind effects at 1K. Tricky for now, but you'll be better off later. I see the symptoms of your addiction are forming!!!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Yeah, you guys are right, I am getting the bug. Trouble is, I don't know if a 107 VLD will go the distance especially in the wind. I have a custom 30-06 Ackley that is a very tight nice shooting weapon but I am having a hard time finding custom bullets fot it. It has a 1/10 twist so it should shoot the 200+ grain bullets, I just don't know where to look. Berger has limited production runs and everywhere I call they are out of stock. Can anyone tell me where they buy their long range bullets?
The 7 IS a light gun, and after a number of rounds, I'd probably rather watch than shoot.
Anyway, the date is this Saturday. I guess I could take several rifles and see which one will fit the bill. The trouble with the 06 AK, is it's built on a Mauser and I've never seen tapered scope mounts to fit a 98. Maybe I could take the gun back to the guy that built it and see if he can do something with it. He always likes a challange, and at 75+ about everything is a challange. Don't tell him I said that!
Let me know what you guys already know.
Tim

Tim,

Tapered bases for the M98 are available from Kenfarrell.com and Graf&sons.

If you decide on the '06AI, there are lots of different bullet options. Some of the best come from Sierra especially in the heavy weights. The Nosler J4's have worked well for many too.

I would still consider the 6mm as this has good bullet selection and does perform well at long range. You have mentioned a liking for custom bullet makers. However, you may want to give the Hornady Amax 105gr a try. I have really enjoyed shooting the various Amax in 30 cal and others have had success with the the 6.5 and 22 bullets.

good luck...

Jerry

Can you sight in for 30inches high at 100 yards with your current scope base and rings? If not, then you might have a problem with enough elevation to get to 1000 yards. Now a flat 6mm might only need 25-26MOA of elevation but if you can get 30 you know you are ok. Cheapest way to correct that problem if it is there is a set of burris signature rings with the insert kit (total cost under $50). You can change the inserts from front to back etc and get 30 MOA in the set up and still be optically centered.

Jerry, thanks for the info on the mounts. I'll look up their site. As far as the 105 A-Max, I have some on the bench as we speak. They look like a VLD with a poly tip.
I called the smith that built these guns and he said that a 1/10 in my 06 would only be good for up to 185 gr bullets, but I may get away shooting 200 gr slugs. He builds 6.5-06 Improved to shoot 1000 at a friends place just South of here. He said the cartridge of choice is a .375 H&H Improved or something like that with a very long barrel 33 to 35 inches. Well that tells me right off the bat that I'm under gunned. But when I had these weapons built, 1000 yds wasn't even a thought. But rather hunting rifles and no more. I guess if I want to shoot long, I need a speciality gun built to do just that.

BH, I may have 30 inches. SB has also suggested that I could hold over if I had to. I have a Burris catalog and these rings are pictured. This may work. I have heard that if your scope is dialed to the max in any direction, it will effect the optical clairity. I can see where this could be true. Glass does funny things when pushed to the limit.
Earlier you ask where I'm at. I'm in Rio, IL.
It is pronunced Rye-oh as SB has so said. This guy is a real clown, and a good shot. I have heard that his first round at this years shoot at Camp Perry was a perfect 100! He's a nice guy too.
I have seen the thread on the Pella, IA shoot the 5th. I'd like to go, but I may be tied up that weekend.

Any more advice would be helpful.

Tim

Tim,

These guys should believe nothing you said about me...other than the 'clown' part
tongue.gif
They might get the idea I really am a nice guy or something. THAT would ruin my reputation at work!
shocked.gif
As far as shooting ability, well, that's up in the air too...
confused.gif

I'll E-mail some stuff direct @ bullet makers that may help. Above all - GO TO THE SHOOT & GIVE IT A TRY!!!!!!!!!!! I'm firmly convinced you'll surprise yourself. The 200 yard sight-in prior to the match will, in all likelihood, get you on paper quickly. They're SUPER friendly & helpful up there.

Hold hard,

'Speedbump'

Tim,

Sounds like you have a real good shooter there. There has been strong interest in the 6mm for long range target shooting. Refer to precision shooter back issues. The 243 has again become quite popular. The benefits: less recoil, less expensive bullets, "cheaper" to shoot. Downsides: lower BC, possibly more wind drift.

Some are going to improved 250 savage cases with long necks. This has helped them reduce throat erosion. The 3000fps seems to be a good vel for the VLD type bullets.

As with anything, practise is going to make or break your shooting. Remember that there are many that shoot 308 Win and 155 to 175gr in F class. The 6mm ballistics are much better.

Have fun, learn to read the conditions, and watch your form. These are what will separate the winners and also rans.

Good luck...

Jerry

SB, ok, you're the baddest of the bad, the nastiest of the nasty, the Mad Max of Southern Illinois....how's that? I don't think I'll ever venture south of Bloomington...it ain't safe with you on the road...I love you man...
Tim

Tim,

You may want to visit some of the 1000yd BR clubs (results and equipment are posted on their websites) and see what shooters are using. If you think the .244 Ackley is too small, remember that 1000yd events have been won with a 6BR. All you need is 2800 to 3000fps with a 105gr type bullet in a well built gun. The ballistics of larger calibres come at the cost of much higher recoil and barrel wear.

You gunsmith may want to do some research into 30cal twist rates because a 1 in 10 twist will stabilize bullets as heavy as 220gr MK, possibly 240gr MK.

The big case 1000yd cartridges are still used in heavy classes. Smaller calibres are used in the lighter weight classes. Review the results and the different specs. This will help you choose something that will work for your application.

With the new generation of VLD bullets, bigger is not necessarily better for target shooting. If this is for long range hunting, then magnum 30cals come into their own.

Good luck...
Jerry

Yeah, I think you guys are right, .244 will make the distance. And if the wind is not howling, will possibily do very well. I think I will have to invest in some tapered bases though. The Ken Farrell site is a good choice Jerry, thanks. I looked on Berger's site and found their .30 cal 210 gr VLD and they recommended a 1/11, so I think my 1/10 will work fine with the heavier bullets. I would think the 06 would be good if there was some wind to contend with. But I guess there is always wind to contend with at 1000 yds, it's your ability to judge when to squeeze the trigger, am I right?
The 7 that I have is a 9 1/4 according to Remington. What is the heaviest bullet I can shoot?
SB, I stand by what I said, and wipe that grin off your face!
The weather is beautiful this week, 70, Sunny and light winds. They're a pickin corn and beans to beat the band. With my luck, it'll probably snow Saturday. Can't hardly wait.
Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.