.243win 75g vmax help

You need accurate atmospheric data to "true" your MV...without it, you're wasting ammo.

Here's a video to show you how to "TRUE" your MV. Fast forward to about 8:40 to learn about the truing feature.

[ame="http://youtu.be/HjVT1qVenvE"]Long range shooting with Ballistic: Advanced Edition for iPhone - YouTube[/ame]

I shoot 70gn blitzking out of a 30" lilja barrel, 47.2gn of H4350 at 3550 with no pressure problems. It shoots 5 shot grps at 3/8".

thanks for that video, i forgot all about that truing option.

i have some more to figure out. i know the scope adjustments are MOA but im not sure about the reticel scale. i couldnt see the target at 800yrds, i had to go back to 906yrds to get a comfortable shooting position . first shot i dialed 22.5moa and could see the impact way low and right. adjusting up and holding left i eventually made a hit on the plate i was aiming at. i know one shot isnt good enough but the plate fell over after i hit it. this is the first time at this distance for me, i was happy i was seeing the impacts and actually made contact with the plate i was aiming at. the plate was about 20" square.

i had 23moa dialed and held up 1 line in the retical and 2 lines into the wind. i dont know if the retical is mil or moa.

im asking a lot of questions, i appreciate all your help. the scope im using is a millet trs1. its the newer version with the illuminated retical. i know im not using the best of scopes but its what i have. the power was set at 16 for the 906 yard shots.

i have to load up some more rounds and make a hanging plate. once i have that done and i know what the retical scale is in i can try again.

thanks again for everything..

one more question?..if my scope is in fact not tracking right between 3 and 4 moa could i install a 20moa base? that would lower my turret 20moa. in theory using a different area in the adjustments.

edit: weather conditions today according to the app,

alt:20'
baro:29.958
temp:81
humidity67

Well, if your optic is Mil Dots...and you have MOA turrets, then your first mistake is choosing that combo. Now you have to know both units and how to convert them if you want to use your reticule for hold over.

Does yours have the "MilDotBar" system that has dots as well as thin lines between the dots?
If you don't know, you need to study your owners manual so you know how much over you're truly holding.

Most of what I'm about to say, will probably just confuse you, since your program, turrets and reticule are set to use different units of measurement, but...

If you made contact by dialing 23 MOA on your turret, and then held up one mil dot (or 3.438 MOA)...you most likely were making contact with around 26.5 MOA. This of course, depends where on the target you actually hit and if in fact you can place 3-4 more rounds into a group with a 1 MOA diameter at that range.

For argument sake...lets pretend you placed 5 rounds into a group that measured 8 inches(sub MOA)...and the center of that group was dead center.
Essentially, we could conclude that you would be truly "centered" which would put your hold for 906 at 26.5 MOA.

Using the atmospheric data you supplied...and the BC of .330, your velocity to be on target should be in the very close neighborhood of 3230fps.
This velocity spits out a solution of 26.5 MOA at your supplied atmospheric conditions and BC of .330.

The 23 MOA you dialed...plus the 1 MIL you held over (3.438 MOA) equals the roughly 26.5 MOA you actually need with that velocity.

To check...you should be able to back down to 5 MOA at 400 yds or 8 MOA at 500 yds and be right on target. Use a BIG target, shoot a 3-5 round group and go off the group center. Don't trust a single shot.
IF YOU ARE ON...then you know your velocity is truly at 3230.
IF YOU ARE NOT or you can't make hits at other ranges...then you need to run a scope tracking drill.

This video shows you how to do it. He uses 3 MOA adjustments...but I like to do 5 MOA adjustments.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q886sc-2grk]Scope Tracking - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube[/ame]

At about the 6:40 mark of this video, is another great way to make sure your scope is tracking correctly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCUZmH8n8g0]Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm Rifle Scope Review Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.