243 wssm

hogman

my wife got me an abolt in this caliber. Does anyone other than Winchester make factory ammo for this round? Yeah I've heard all about the throat burning, but for obvious sentimental reasons this gun's a keeper.

I haven't seen or heard of any other ammo makes that are loading for the new WSSM's , if you hand load I've heard that their cool little round and you could help minimize the throat erosion by using differany powders and not running them so hot.
OR
you could rebarrel it to say a 6.5 or7mm WSSM it woulden't be any long range rig but it should be equal to or better the 260 or 7-08 in a lighter rifle.

Hogman,
I wouldn't be too concerned with it burning out your throat anymore than a regular .243 win. They have pretty close to the same case capacity and neck length. It just sounds like a barrel burner with that "mag" naming, but it really isn't a true magnum. Now the .223 WSSM on the other hand, watch out! There is a reason they come from the factory with a chrome lined barrel and it ain't for the looks man!

I measured the case capacity against a regular .243 and it was very close. the real advantage is the powder burns a little better in the short fat cases, like PPC's and BR's. The short actions limit seating the bullets out of the case which would limit the true potential of the ctg. Another problem I Have seen is feeding and jamming in some controlled feed actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.