243 wssm with heavy bullets ?

timmyatnop

I have a 243 wssm that i like but its been sitting in the gun safe a long time and ive been thinking about toying with it. What i was wondering is,would a longer barrel add much to that cartridge as far as velocity goes,i have heard that there is some point where the velocity starts to drop off with cartridges like that one ,and simer cartridges,with longer barrels. Dont know if a 30" or 28" would be any faster than the 24" it has on it now.Also can a gunsmith blueprint the a bolt action like say a rem 700?.I think it would be cool to go with a 30" fast twist barrel and a blueprinted action if it would make much of a difference.Mabey it wouldn't I don't know? i might just be ****... into the wind. any info would help a lot on this decission.

i have a 6wssm but it only has a 22" barrel. it's a 9 twist and shoots the 105 a-max's better than i can hold it. a 30" will probably get a little more velocity but nothing that's gonna make any difference in anything other than braggin rights at the gun store. my suggestion would be to shoot the thing as is and see how it shoots. get it bedded and the trigger done, 2 things you have to do anyways, and work up some loads. i'll bet it will shoot very good as is with a little work. the 3 6mm guns i've shot all liked the heavier bullets a little better. if it doesn't like the 105 a-max, it's probably a 10 twist and you might have to stay with 90 gr and under bullets.

If I get get an extra 100 fps more than my 24 inch barrel that would be great mabey I will call some of these barrel guys and see what they think.

Nobody has a load for the 95 gr bergers, come on guys i need some help on that one. If not the 95 grs when whatever u think my 1-10 twist will stabilize.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.