243 WSSM reloading

hitman2565

A buddy would like to start reloading for his 243 WSSM. He was wondering what others think of this cartridge and what loads and bullets you are using. The gun is being used as woodchuck and coyote gun in NW Ohio. Thanks.

So far out of my WSSM Savage Striker 16" barrel, i've gotten the 100 Speer BTSP to around 2850, i believe with H4350-- i'll have to check my notes at home in the AM as i'm at work now. It's an 8 twist Broughton, and i hope to get either the 105 A-Max shooting, or 87 V-Max (the highest BC pure varmint bullet made). This is a spot and stalk coyote rig, and it's gonna be interesting to see which bullet gives me the best terminal ballistics to as far as i can kill 'em.

i'm shooting 39 gr of varget with 105 a-max.my throat is so long i barely have the bullet in the case to touch the rifling.i've shot a couple 1" 3 shot groups at 300.have taken g-hogs and crows out to 540.the a-max has work well for me so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.