.243 Winchester - 55 NBT's - H335

300winnie

I have been working with my Ruger M77 in .243 Winchester for a while now, trying different powder and bullet combinations to try and milk all I can out of it for velocity and accuracy with either the 55 grain NBT or the 58 grain Vmax.

I have come to a load that is workable, but it is doubtful that it maximizes the potential of the rifle, with 46.5 grains of RL15 and the 55 NBT. It shoots right around m.o.a. at about 3,825 fps. Good enough for the coyotes it is intended for, but I have the sickness of trying to see what a gun can do...not settling for what will work.

I have also tried H380 with the NBT and got better velocity, but no better accuracy.

I have some Vmax's loaded up with the H380, RL 15, and IMR 4064 to try and I am going to put some NBT's together with IMR 4064 as well before I go on my next shoot.

As I got thinking about utilizing all of the "tools" at my disposal I noticed that I have a full 1# can of H335 that I could try. I looked through my manuals (most of which don't address the bullet weight in question) and found H335 listed at the fastest (burn rate wise) powder for the 70 gr NBT in the Nosler #3 manual and also noticed it listed as being used for the 60 gr Sierra HP in the Hodgdon #26 Manual. It is also listed on the Hodgdon's website in conjunction with the 58 gr Vmax.

So, although feasible, has anyone else worked with H335 in the .243? In addition, is there any other opinions on the powder itself?

Thanks.

I got my best results with the 55gr bullet using H414 , I don't remember exactly what the charge was but it filled the case to where the load was slightly compressed , velocity was just over 4000fps with a 26" barrel and their were no presure signs , this was the most accurate load with the realy light bullets , the next best thing was accuracy wise was a the 87gr V-max over a stiff load of 4831 and that gave me around 3400fps if memory servs but the pressure was evident.

Are you stuck on the 55gr bullets?
your gun might like somthing a little heavier.

Years ago I worked up a very accurate load with the Sierra 75 gr HPBT and H4895 (which is slightly faster or slightly slower than H335 depending on the chart you read), so theoretically H335 should work satisfactorily with the 55 gr.

JJ is right, your rifle might prefer heavier bullets and slower powders...like he says, H414 is an excellent powder for the .243, and, as a matter of fact, is the most accurate powder tested for the 55gr bullets in the Nosler Reloading Guide #5.

H335 is probably best saved for your .223.

Last edited:
55Nos/H414 worked great in my old tang Ruger sporter and its the ONLY load my Savage J action likes. Have not tried H335 but have some Tac and Hunter powder lined up to try, just cause its cheap and I have a lot of it but have yet to get to the range :(

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.