243 Winchester 1:10 twist long range load

I have a v1 Weatherby Vanguard 243 in 1:10 twist. For deer, I use the 90G Nosler Accubond when I can find it, the 95 BT when the AB is not an option. Both are effective. But the Nosler 55G BT shoots great in this rifle. In fact, it's about 4" high at 100 yards where the 90 & 95 are at 1.5" high. The 55G is going about 3800 fps and is, no doubt, a barrel burner. But it's flat at 400 yards, and retains enough energy (maybe 600 ft/lb) to take other game. I am not good enough at that range to comfortably take a shot at a deer. And it's not going to drop a deer without a masterful or lucky shot. I might do it on a hog, but why? A neck shot would bring it down, I guess. But what am I doing? I guess I'm saying that a 1:10 twist is the wrong barrel for long shots in 243.

i have tryed a bunch of diffrent bullets and factory ammo but the
sierra 85 gr bullets
imr 4350 pow
winchester mod 70 1in 10twist works great in my 243 in

Possibly the 90 grain Hornady ELDX bullets would work out for shooting deers at up to 400 yards.

Screenshot (308).png

I would not select the 87 Berger VLD .243 bullet for a 10 twist,

Screenshot (310).png

Another bullet that shoots good in a 10 twist, 100 grain Hornady 6mm spbt Interlock

Screenshot (312).png

Last edited:
The 87gr Berger VLDH is extremely accurate in my son's .243. They are very difficult to find presently.

I am not punching it out to an AI, I am not doing a new barrel, 1:8 twist. Not happening but good suggestions. Just hoping to extend this to a 400 yard killer.

400 yard is pretty easy with what you have. I've done two with a 10 twist for a few friends and they perform well on large deer at 400 here in Michigan.
So my first load that worked very well was the 95gr nosler bt. One really liked them. The other didn't and liked the 90gr.
That being said they both liked the 70gr hammer hunter and we were able to get enough speed where it outperformed both the nosler to 400-500 yards. That being said if you are a experienced Reloader and you will not get a better 500 and under bullet than the 69gr absolute hammer. The speed you gain will roughly 3800-3900fps will offset the higher bc.
In fact you could do a max point blank of around 400 yards with that round if you got it to 3800fps. Point and shoot is always good.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, the 90gr Sierra Tipped Gameking shoots really well over H4350 in my Bergara break action. I haven't taken any animals with it but I'm thinking it's going to work well and with a claimed .490 BC, it'll extend the range some although I would still like to be inside of 400 on anything I'm intending hunt.