243 win long range bullet

I have run the 95 grain VLDs out of my 1:10 twist with great results. Berger's website says the 105s need 1:8 so I never tried them. I have shot conventionally shaped hunting bullets in the 100 grain range fine. The 105's shoot great out of my 1:7.5 twist gun.

Hi question probably for the older generation of bench shooters, I acquired a rem 700 chambered in 243 win heavy barrel I'd like to see if I could compete a little with it , but I'm not sure what kind of match bullets worked without all the new hype calibers ,barrels and faster twists for the heavier than 100 grain match 6mm projectiles . Any suggestions would be great thanks in advance !!

Berger has a twist rate calculator. You can check different bullets for your twist. I have an old Ruger 243 tang. Loves 100 grain core locket factory. You can cover 3 shot with a dime. Shooting 105 Hornady match with a 1-8 twist (yes I know there are better bullets) in my prc gun. .3 is the norm for group. I usually shoot 5 target, 1 shot strings. Very consistent impacts. (I pick up the gun and reset prone for each shot). No problem hitting 1k 10 inch gong. (Not usually a first round impact. A problem with the shooter. Not the bullet).

I shoot long range prone with my 243 any rifle at 1000yds, it has a 7.5 twist 32" long barrel with a long throat.
I shoot 115's at 3100 fps.
Your 10 twist should shoot flat 100 grain or 95 grain and lighter boat tail bullets.
Steve Bair

I'm have a savge mod 11 in 243 win with 1 in 10 twist. Sierra says to use 1 in 8 twist for there 95 gr. Matchking but I wanted to give them a try anyway. I GOT 3/8 group at 100 yd. On a 8 in steel shoot 4 for 4 out to 600 yds this spring befor the farmer started planting his crops so I haven't a chance to shoot any more .
Hi question probably for the older generation of bench shooters, I acquired a rem 700 chambered in 243 win heavy barrel I'd like to see if I could compete a little with it , but I'm not sure what kind of match bullets worked without all the new hype calibers ,barrels and faster twists for the heavier than 100 grain match 6mm projectiles . Any suggestions would be great thanks in advance !!

I'm have a savge mod 11 in 243 win with 1 in 10 twist. Sierra says to use 1 in 8 twist for there 95 gr. Matchking but I wanted to give them a try anyway. I GOT 3/8 group at 100 yd. On a 8 in steel shoot 4 for 4 out to 600 yds this spring befor the farmer started planting his crops so I haven't a chance to shoot any more .

My model 11 has a 9.25 twist!

My Remington 700 shoots the 95 gr Berger hvld ok. Haven't tried the classic hunter yet. Shoots lights out with the Barnes 80 gr TTSX. But their kind of spendy for paper punching. Uncertain how they perform beyond 300 yds.

My old Rem 700 in 243 Win really likes the 95gr AccuBond from Nosler. I only shoot to 300 yards but can usually hold them to 1" at that distance. Heck, when critters come out further than that in our country you can't hardly see 'em!!!

At 3350fps the 87 v max works fairly well in a 10tw. My model 70 will shoot 2.5-4" groups at 600yds in calm conditions. Once the wind starts blowing 1moa is a struggle. I have an 8tw ai and the 107 smk is the easiest to shoot well. I shot some precision ballistics 103's at a 300yd match and they were great. For egg shoots I use the seirrias with expected results

Im running the 105gr Hornady match/Amax bullets out of my 26" 1:7.5 twist T3x .243ai out to 800y+ for steel shooting. Fluted Bartlein #3b contour, amazingly accurate, always sub-moa.

Lots of good specific recommendations already, but in the end your barrel is going to pick the bullet it likes best. You can usually go heavier with a flat base bullet (100gr and over) in the slower twist barrels, but you will loose some BC. I'd guess 85-95gr in a match bullet will be your sweet spot depending on what your barrel likes.
Yes I agree

I have a 1973 heavey barrelled 243 with a 9.125 twist. It is my 300 yd comp rifle. May rifle likes the Lapua 77 grain FB target bullet with H4832sc powder.. Probably a little light for longer yards like 600 or 1000. I shoot Bib bullets in a 25-284 for 600 yards. They tend to be be shorter and will stabalize in faster twist barrel. They are expensive but you can purchase a minimum quantity to start with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.