.243 Win Loads

Anschutz

Hello LRH,

I have 100 of the 100gr Hornady BTSP. I have H4831 and H4895 on hand. Does anyone have a load for this bullet? I'm going to eventually load a more premium bullet but for now I think this will do to get me started. It's overkill for the coyotes here but for Antelope and Deer it will be pretty good. Thanks.

Anschutz

Not for those powders but IMR 4350 at 43 grains is perfect with sub MOA accuracy in a factory Weatherby Vanguard. I love those bullets on deer. 50% weight retention and large wound cavity.

Thanks jrock. I also picked up some 87gr Vmax. I'm thinking these should be good for yotes and goats (probably). I got home and I only had about 1/3lb of 4895 and the other was 4198 not 4831. I remembered that I got the 4198 for my 45-70 once I get a shellplate and some cast bullets (Not very LRH I know) for my elk load. I loaded 5 each of 33.4, 33.9, and 34.4 and will load 34.9 and 35.4 (Max) and give them a shot, NPI, tomorrow. I'll probably load up another 5 of the 33.4 since my scope base was a little loose and I reset the scope so it'll need some help to be on paper. I'll start with a 25yd zero and group test at 200. I'll load the 100 grainers as powder allows. I determined OAL by closing the bolt on a dummy round and turning the seating die until it touched that round. That's how my old man did his 308 for 1000yds and they still fit in my magazine this way.

what rifle??

It's a Savage 10. Still Stock for now but in the future it will be getting a new barrel, stock, and scope.

Today's range session wasn't the best. I only had a sandbag in front and for some reason had a hard time getting a good float in the scope. I only shot three groups 33.4, 33.9, 35.2 and they hung out around an inch and a half and two inches at 100. I'm thinking these bullets might not like getting stuffed. That's fine by me too. I'll probably set the other two I have back a little and see what happens. I'll also take something for a rear bag because I really needed that. Other than that, I really enjoyed the shooting session I got, those 243s are a pleasure to shoot unlike some of the bigger boomers.

A, H4350 and 95 gr Bergers in my son's .243 shoot well under 1/2 MOA at 200 yards. Some .243s have too slow twist for heavier bullets. His combo is devastating on javelina and coyotes. Good luck

Yeah. I'm thinking of trying the 95gr Bergers. For now my press is deadlined. I broke one of the pawls last night on the LNL. I'm in need of powder so I may try that 4350. My book shows that 4350 will send the 87 VMAX at 3100 with a max load and the 95 gr SST at 2900. That should be potent. On anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.