243 win hunting bullet????

chad44

My daughter drew a cow elk tag a mule deer buck tag and will be using my 243 win. I was going to reload berger 95 vld hunting bullets but they recommend a 1:9 twist and my rifle is 1:9.5. I'm not sure what bullet to use. Any suggestions????

It is quite possible that the 1-9.5 will stabilize your VLDs, although I may caution you on it. A bullet that is known to be frangible when used on (intended) deer sized game, very well not make it into the vitals of an elk (predictably), the 243 is really light for elk, make sure you coach your daughter on proper bullet placement & keep the range short. Can it be done? Absolutely, has been many, many times over, but your chances for failure are fairly high as well. You might research the 85grn TSX, It will penetrate farther than the VLD which should be beneficial in this case, it will also hold together much better in the event bone is contacted.

Over penetration/expansion issues on your muley should not be an issue either, as I believe deer was the intended recipient for the 6mm 85grn TSX.

We shoot the 105 Berger out of a 1-10 twist with no issues I would use it or the 95 which ever shoots better. I've seen a truck load of deer and a few elk shot with the 105 Berger and there is no other bullet I would put down it, absolutely awesome! Buddy shot a 300 class bull through the shoulders with one at around 100yrds and it dropped him hard, broke the onside shoulder, powdered two vertebra and the jacket fell out of the hide of the far shoulder, did much better than my 168 TSX from a 300 WBY that day!!

I've shot several critters with a 95 grain SST with excellent results.

I shoot the 95gr Berger in a 9.5 twist without a problem. I'm shooting at about 4500 ft elevation. Good to 650 yards on paper and steel. What elevation will she be hunting?

Bob

May want to try the Sierra 100grn BTSP. Very accurate and will probably give better penetration. I have 95grn SST's shooting out of a 1:10 twist that shoot bug holes at 100yds. Another option may be the Accu-bond.

Tank

I run the 95gr vld, 105 vld, and 105 amax in a 10 twist barrel. You may need to push them to the upper end but work great for me. With that said the 95 or 105 vld would be my choice.

i would use a 95 or 100 partition; or a 100 grain horn or sierra. especially for elk. where are you hunting.

Using the Sierra Infinity Suites ballistics program, the 95g Berger beats everything else if you can push the to 3100 fps. According to Chris Hodgdon that is doable using 43 g their Hybrid 100v powder.
I've used this powder in my 257 Roberts and it did give an extra 100 fps more than anything else I tried.
Next on my agenda is to do a ladder test using this combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.