.243 Win....enough for hogs?

I've hunted Texas Hill Country hogs for quite a few years. I do not hesitate to carry my 243 loaded with 85gr Sierra hpbt and a conservative powder charge. With that said, I am talking hunting from a blind with all shots under 200yd.

Personally, I would not stalk with a 243. I would at least move up to 1/4 bore or more. I'd just feel more confident due to the chances of a close encounter or less than ideal shot opportunity. My 25-06 knocks them down real good with a 115gr nosler ballistic tip. Took the hog in avatar with that round.

I've got a friend who used a 243 Win for deer hunting. He liked it because after he shot something he got to hunt for another hour or two to find his deer. Finally convinced him to upsize to a 6.5 Creedmoor as he is too old to stomp around the thickets at night looking for his downed deer. So far, he is happy with it. The 260 or 280 will put down hogs with much more authority and you can never tell when the 400 lb monster will show up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.