243 Win Backing Out Primers

Just loaded a round to try and touch the lands. I have no trouble closing the bolt with bullet seated. Bullet is barely in the case. Picture to follow.

Picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 67
As long as there is no gas leaking from the primer pocket, extraction and brass life are not an issue I'd say run with it.

Thanks guys for the info. The rifle has shot very well for my intended purpose. I will continue to shoot and monitor the situation. Thanks again.
Quit using mid range loads, forget touching the rifling, and load some proper work up loads from 5% below max, maybe 3 gr, and work up.
Backed out primers are a sign of LOW PRESSURE, NOT EXCESSIVE PRESSURE.
Mid loads will cause excessive headspace, as the shoulder is pushed forward on each firing, if you continue to load this way, your cases will separate.

Cheers.
gun)

When I started reading your opening post right off the bat and before I got to you stating mild load, I said too myself MILD LOAD......

I agree 100% with MagnumManiac, do what he suggested and you will be fine.

Shot to day and did what MagnumManiac posted, Loaded H4831SC from 42 grains to 46 grains. All I did was neck size each case and load. Bolt cased with out hesitation on each load. Primers were back out still on every case. Any more suggestions?

FYI...this is a pretty common problem with light cast bullet loads. Heavier bullets may help with the lighter loads. You can quickly get yourself into head space issues as the case shortens up with repeated use (assuming the primer backs out with each use). Best to put a heavier load in the case after finding the primer backed out.

Just for piece of mind I'd have a gunsmith check the headspace. Wouldn't be the first rifle to leave a factory out of spec.

Really, it's not a headspace problem but a pressure problem.

And cases used to fire low pressure loads don't shorten.

They effectively become shorter when the primer backs out and the case doesn't expand/push reward to push the primer back in. Full length sizing at that point can make the situation worse depending on tolerances.

Not sure if this will solve your problem but I loaded some 87 gr vmax for my 243 and noticed the same issue with most of the loads. The only loads that grouped were on the mild end of the charges. I switched to the 105 gr amax and retumbo and it solved the primer issue and the groups were a good amount better with the 105s. Might be worth trying a heavier bullet and some different powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.