243 Win Backing Out Primers

Just a thought, Where did the rifle and dies come from?

The picture of the bolt face makes me wonder. Did some one have problem with the firing pin and have it sleeved, And the sleeve is sliding back into the bolt on firing. It looks strange to me that bright shiney circle on a blued bolt face.

I got a set of RCBS 270 Win. dies in a horse trade once. I picked them up one day by mistake, Instead of my set of RCBS dies. I loaded some shells and had a similar situation. When I seen the guy I got them from, About the problem. HE FESSED UP HE HAD A CUSTOM BARRELED RIFLE WITH A SHORT CHAMBER. He said he had a machinist friend grind .070 (seventy thousands) off the bottom of the RCBS Full Length size die. The die looked original he must have ground it with a post grinder in a lathe.

Just a couple things that may cause this. Good Luck and be safe.

Low pressure from 1 .slow burn rate powders. 2. OAL to long with little bullet shank in the case. 3. The bushing die need to produce .002" of neck tension. The sized neck needs to expand tthe .002" after bullet seating. 4. For accuracy, size about 1/2 of the necks. The unsized part will expand to the chamber, centering the round in the chamber.
Bushing%20neck%20sizing_zpsdrqj9rw8.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.