243 win and hammers, what's your recipe?

QQQQQ

I can't seem to find a dedicated thread for 243 win and hammer bullets load recipes. If there is one please post the link so I don't waste everybody's time. If not, what are your recipes? I haven't ran monos before so I'm not sure how shooting lighter weight bullets vs heavy for caliber bullets effect the powder options and powder weight. I'm thinking of "trying the coolaid" and jumping on the hammer band wagon. I have used Accubonds for a long time but always willing to try something potentially better. This will be for my kid's Ruger American compact. Thanks for any help!

I can't seem to find a dedicated thread for 243 win and hammer bullets load recipes. If there is one please post the link so I don't waste everybody's time. If not, what are your recipes? I haven't ran monos before so I'm not sure how shooting lighter weight bullets vs heavy for caliber bullets effect the powder options and powder weight. I'm thinking of "trying the coolaid" and jumping on the hammer band wagon. I have used Accubonds for a long time but always willing to try something potentially better. This will be for my kid's Ruger American compact. Thanks for any help!
Talk to Steve at Hammer. He'll steer you in the right direction.

For Absolutes go to Absolute Hammer Load Data thread, post #1. For Hunters, go to Hammer Hunter Load Data, post #8. Plenty of info in both spreadsheets. Updated regularly.
G
There was no data for H4350 and 243 win in the hammer hunter spreadsheet.

Last edited:
243 Win (huntemhigh)
70 HH
Howa 24", tw ?
Varget
3650fps
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Bug hole groups
243 AI (gltaylor)
83 SH
26" Bartlein, 1-9" tw
Lapua
F 210
OTB 3.182
RL 16
3495fps
Shoots ragged hole

From HH data base that was published on this form.

71 grain sledge hammer, or whatever it's called now. Reloder 16. Up to 44 grains in lapua without pressure before I ran out of time. Ymmv always be careful

I did load development for my boy's first rifle about 3 years ago, a Ruger American compact .243 win. we broke the barrel in with 2 boxes of factory Hornady custom lite 87 grn. sst. They shot great with very little recoil. We moved to the 80 grn HH and started with RL-16. We loaded up from 42 grn. in 1/2 grain increments to 46 grns. 44.5, 45, and 45.5 all shot a very nice tight little cluster. 45 and 45.5 had the exact same velocity over the chrony so we stuck with 45 grains. My boy has hit steel targets out to 500 yards and was shooting at about .75 moa at that distance. Pretty impressive for a 12 year old and a very light compact rifle. He took his first 2 Blacktail bucks that year with that load both at about 120 to 140 yards and they were DRT!! I would take Steve's advise and start At 40 grns as every rifle is different. Rem Brass, Rem 9 1/2 primer, coal 2.675, and a velocity of 3197. Hope this helps and best of luck. Jason