243 Vmax load help

Colestaton

Anybody have a load worked up for 87 grain Vmax they'd like to share. I've been shooting the 87 grain Berger vld on top of 46.5 grains of RL 22 with better than excellent results. I'm shooting a savage 110 243.

I've been shooting 42.0 gr of H4350 with the 87 grain V-Max out of my .243 for the last two years and have been very pleased. Accuracy is great and it's 1.5 grains below max so it shouldn't be a real barrel burner. Out of my 24" X-Bolt they chronograph 3225 fps. They are rough on coyotes up close but the long range (up to 600 yards) performance more than makes up for it! Of the 80 or so coyotes shot with this round all have dropped in their tracks except two which made short 20 yard death runs.

Before shooting the V-Max I was using the Sierra 85 gr BTHP with 42.0 gr of H4350 and it worked like a champ too. In both my X-Bolt and BLR I could shoot sub-MOA. I switched to the V-Max because of the higher BC.

I have a model 12 savage in 243. I shoot 87 grain bergers with 46 grains of rl 22 and it shoots .22 group at 100.

43.4 h4350 2.64 col. .537" @100yards shot out
Of my vangaurd sub MOA. I tryed imr 4350 but yielded .7 @100..

I was loading those over 46.5gr H4831sc seated .010 off the lands in my Tikka. It was only running around 3050 but shot ragged holes all day.

I had great luck with RL-19 in a 24" bolt gun & am now using Ramshot Big Game in a 20" gasser.

Bolt gun was running 3100-ish

Haven't put the Chrony on the Gas gun yet. Both are well under MOA.

t

I have to ask the question. Why switch from the berger to the vmax? I would constantly get fliers with the vmax. No with the berbers. The difference in weight between bullets & ogive distance drove me bat **** crazy with the vmaxs.
I dropped my 3rd yote with the bergers and as long as I don't hit bone, they are fine. Very accurate in my BLR with no fliers when I do my part.
I use RL 17 because of my short barrel. RL22 is a good choice too though.
Good luck!

I have to ask the question. Why switch from the berger to the vmax? I would constantly get fliers with the vmax. No with the berbers. The difference in weight between bullets & ogive distance drove me bat **** crazy with the vmaxs.
I dropped my 3rd yote with the bergers and as long as I don't hit bone, they are fine. Very accurate in my BLR with no fliers when I do my part.
I use RL 17 because of my short barrel. RL22 is a good choice too though.
Good luck!

I haven't had good luck with the bergers at close range. I've had few just pin hole through with no expansion and very little damage. I'm not worried about pelt damage at all, just want them dead. The Berger have been amazing at extended ranges and rediculously accurate. I have tried numerous powders with the Vmax and haven't found anything that gave me accuracy anywhere near the bergers. Considering trying Sierra or or something different.

I use the 87 VMAX almost exclusively for my AR10T .243 rifle. 43.0 of H4350 with a 210M primer. I've shot coyotes at 20 yards to 785 with similar results. I use the same load for antelope as well. The last time I shot paper, the group was in the .3-.4 range if I remember correctly. Speed is 3200fps. 1.5 grains higher is another node, but another 100fps and barrel wear to boot isn't worth it to me.

The berger is twice the bullet the Vsplash is. Ur not making a good shot if ur getting runners.
My load is 42 gns of h4350 and 95gn Berger VLD's using Win cases and WLRM primers at 3136 fps. Never have i had a runner, drop like a rock no matter what the distance last dog i shot was at 87 yards and it flat out messed it up. Huge exit.
image-2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.