243 to ???

Bob S.

My kid has a ruger m77 mk11 in 243 that shoots like crap. No consistency whatsoever. I think it's a cheap plastic stock problem but he asked me what that action can be turned into.

What is calibers is this action capable of taking without going the full blown customizing route.

I told him to get rid of it and get something else but it was his first deer rifle and I think its got some sentimental value.

Dern Kids anyway. I know if it was mine I would rebarrel it to a standard 6mm REMINGTON. You got to figure a new tube has got to be a help. I would do the usual tuning on the stock, Work the trigger a might if it needs it. Put one of your known good scpoes on it, then hope for the best! I would send the rifle out to a rep barrel maker and let then do the work. I guess that means PAC-NOR is the closest that does barrel work. I don't think Lilja has for years now. The 6mm REMINGTON is a great ctg. and good on barrels, longer neck than a .243 WIN (If you hand load, it's a help)I would keep it a handy rifle as it is now. I think your son might put a lot of miles on a rifle like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

well first off I'd work the stock over , bed it and float the barrel and if that doesen't help try fire lapping it with a Tubbs kit and have the crown cleaned up. That would be the cheapest two fixes and still if it doesen't do what you want have it rebarreled.
As for the caliber choice any of the cases based on the 308 like the 243 up to the 308. Or like mentioned before the 6mm , personaly i don't like the 6mm in its factory shape but love it in the Ai version (I'm just to lazy to keep triming brass) and in a short action its kinda hard to get bullets to touch the lands and still fit in the mag unless its custom throated.
But having it sent off to Pac-Nor would be a good cheap way to have a good job done. and if you guys reload you could choose a wildcat caliber or one of the Ackley improved versoins like the 260Ai or my new favorite the 243Ai but if your gonna have it rebarreled you owe it to the smith to put it in a decient stock.

So would I but its not my gun so I need other options. I just e-mailed kirby for a price to tune it up and bed it in a new stock. Maybe that will be his birthday present. I don't want to put a lot into it especially since he just got my favorite 270 for x-mas. It was built by my dad about 35 years ago and was passed to me, now to him. It is an awesome hunting rifle. Killed lots of deer and elk along with coyotes and hundreds of cans.

What does he need to shoot with the gun? Is recoil an issue? One could drop down into the 224 calibers for a 22-250, 22-250 Ackley or a 220 Swift if one is just shooting varmints.

Recoil is not an issue. He handles the 243 well and shoots groups about like mine. The 270 he handles ok also and is as accurate as the gun is. I think he will probably use the 243 for practice and varmints. I tried to work a trade with him but he just doesn't want to give up his first deer rifle. 308 may be ok cause he decided his next rifle will be that caliber. I just want an inexpensive way to get it to shoot worth a darn and still be able to keep his "gun". He was just curious what the action could be used for.

The above calibers will work through a 243 size action if it comes to rebarreling. Nothing more irritating than a gun that won't shoot( Well, perhaps a truck that won't start when you are miles from a phone is more irritating).
Good luck.

If I had it to do over again I would have put the same caliber and contour as the 20"sporter 243 that it started out with(man I miss that gun!!)Instead I put a 27"heavy fast twist .224 in 22-250 on it.It works fine the way it is.....its just different.
Rugers are not noted for being tack drivers but make very good getitdone guns with a little tuneing and the 243 is very versatile!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.