243 to 243ai

ShadS

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting a 243 soon and I want to convert it to 243 ackley improved to be more unique and have more fps. Can someone explain the process of converting it? Do i need a new barrel, does it cost much etc... Info on how to get the gun converted is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
ShadS

Find a gunsmith with the .243ai reamer and he will ream it out. No new barrel needed. You will need new dies.

The barrel needs to be set-back a turn, as head space of the AI is shorter than for the 'parent' cartridge/chamber. Velocity won't be increased much, 50-100fps, accuracy should be the same as the original (unless the original wasn't 'right'), but brass life should be better.

as the previous poster said set it back a thread, rechamber to 243ai. i did a 22-250ai and my accracy did increase a bit but my smith did recrown it from the factory crown. look up the cream of wheat fire forming method, just run them slow as they will still make your barrel heat up.i read somewhere of a guy scorching the throat out of a new barrel fireing about 100 in a row. it saves a bullet and about a third of the amount of pistol powder vs rifle powder just use a false shoulder where the bolt has a little resistance closing. 6mm br has a good artical on fireforming.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting a 243 soon and I want to convert it to 243 ackley improved to be more unique and have more fps. Can someone explain the process of converting it? Do i need a new barrel, does it cost much etc... Info on how to get the gun converted is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
ShadS

Ackley stated more than once that he considered the .243/.308 case family already an improved case design. That being said, your looking at 100fps velocity gain with another set of issues. He never came up with the .243AI concept to gain velocity, but to help cope with Winchester's bad case design. Neck's already too short with the .243, and then you shrink it another .025". Nothing but a short throat life there. But if you were to ream the chamber with a 6mmAI reamer to headspace off a .243AI gauge your way ahead in the game.

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.