243 shooting 105 VLD seating depth?

Kilsm152

I'm reloading for my boys remington 700, 243. I have to seat the bullets out .040 off the lands, to just barely fit in the box. My question is, at this point, am I better off to just seat the bullets to Sami spec? Or have any of you, had success with VLD bullets seated this far out?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The VLDs normally like being closer to the rifling as opposed to SAAMI length but every gun is a bit different. Try a couple different depths to see what YOUR gun likes. Another option for you is our Classic Hunter bullet. Little smaller size (95gr) but its shape is more conducive to SAAMI seating depths without the sensitivity of the VLD.

The old notions about where VLDs like to be seated was no more true than old notions of where SMKs like to be seated.. Do a FULL test to find best.

The gun is stock. My experience with VLDs is the same as most; the closer, the better. I've been able to have success right at .010 off the lands, in multiple calibers, so I'm curious to know if any other members have had success beyond .040. If so, how far out off the lands?

Thanks for the replies.

I think you might not have a fast enough twist in a stock 700 barrel for the 105's

152, my son's .243 has 1 in 9 twist which according to Berger is too slow for the 105 which we tried with some that were given to him. The 95 gr VLD is another story, outstanding accuracy and kill Az javelina DRT. We may try the 87 gr next. Good luck

Recently found some 105's cheap on clearance. No luck out of my Rem 9.25" twist. Would love to try the 95 Bergers but no luck finding them in stock.

The old notions about where VLDs like to be seated was no more true than old notions of where SMKs like to be seated.. Do a FULL test to find best.

I have a .243 30" Hart barrel, lapua brass, federal gold match primers. Seated 105 @.020 off lands . But my chamber has been matched for this bullet.

Your getting some good advice from alot of folks. Just load a set in different depth and find out

Recently found some 105's cheap on clearance. No luck out of my Rem 9.25" twist. Would love to try the 95 Bergers but no luck finding them in stock.

i have 6ppc, 6br and 243s in various twist rates ( 8, 9.25, 10, 12). i could not get the 95 berger to shoot in the remington 700, i did not even attempt the 105. my 8 twist krieger shoots everything awesome. my 12 twist hart shoot everything i have loaded awesome. just never shot over 90 grain bullets in it. for a factory 700 i would try 100 sierra or horn btsp. or a 90 grain scenar.

Thanks. I plan on getting a .243 26" magnum contour ER Shaw 8 twist to use as a switch barrel in my 7 Mag. The 95 VLD is ballisticly almost identical to my 7mag Etip load.

Ok, so my sons first time shooting his new hunting rifle, and I think we hit the jackpot.

20" barrel, 9 1/8 twist
105 VLD
2.235 coal(at the ogive)
.050 off the lands
31 grains Varget
Winchester primers

Hopefully he can repeat this performance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.