.243 rebarrel for 105 vld

Methow Packer

Having a #4 contour stainless 26" barrel being made for shooting 105 VLD. 8" twist. Told a special reamer needs to be made to accept the 105VLD type ogive . The throat dimension is the issue. Its stated that without altering the throat I can't seat to the lands as well as fit in the magazine. Saw it coming but didn't expect a custom reamer.
What's your thoughts on this and how has others delt with this.

Plenty of good bullets for the 243....you dont have to have VLD's....and hence no special reamer

Ya I agree. Look into the 105gr A-MAX and Hornady BTHP. They offer high BCs and won't require a custom reamer.

Understand there are other bullets out there. I want to use this rifle for longer ranges than the average .243 so decided on 8" twist for the heavier bullets. Not just VLD but Sierra match king etc. They all are fairly long in the ogive area once you get to 105 grain. What do you think this special reamer is all about. Certainly they couldn't change the throat that much. Could it be a more tapered land configuration? I guess its worth it ? I don't intend on using bullets any lighter than say 85 grain. I have seen 105 grainers over 3200FPS from a .243 fairly easy. That makes a .243 an even better deer cartridge especially if it's an accurate long range load.

I have a 1X8 twist 243 that won't shoot Berger 105 hunting VLD's worth a hoot but will put Hornady Amax and HPBT 105's in a ragged hole - no special reamer used

A 243 SAAMI chamber has a lot of freebore. If you load a 105 Berger VLD to an OAL of 2.850", you will still be about .080" away from the lands. Some Gunsmiths will have a reamer without a throat to use with a throat reamer. They can make your throat fit any bullet you want to use.

Have 1/8 twist .243 and it puts the 105 Hornady BTHPs into bitty groups. Likes H4350 and H4831SC.
Not trying to sway you on the VLDs, just a note from personal experience. Thought about running the VLDs, but a friend of mine runs a Dasher and says they are finicky about seating depth.

On my second rifle using the 105 hunting VLD's, no special reamer or throat specs, and they shoot awesome. I use the Berger recommended seating depth process and have no trouble getting the VLD's to shoot extremely well. I also have used the 105 AMAX (no longer available last I heard) and will be testing out the Hornady 105 HPBT's soon. Don't sweat the chamber issue.

Geb

My friend and I won't build a rifle without a reamer with specifications that suit our needs. You should do likewise. You can supply a dummy round to the reamer maker and talk about the other aspects of what you need. $140 or so is worth the performance. You could always sell the reamer afterwards.

Generally a custom reamer will give you tighter tolerances. You and your reamer maker decide how much bullet release clearance and throat angle. Do you want a no turn neck or one that you turn? Believe me this stuff will make a difference in your accuracy and brass life. Typically the VLDs work best with a 1.5 degree throat angle. There are some exceptions.

We use Pacific Tool and Gauge. Dan and I talk with Dave Kiff and we discuss our needs and what works best.

To date my friend Dan, who shoots 1000 BR, and I have had nothing but the best results with our reamers:

22-250 AI
6mm-284
243SLR
243 rogue
257 Weatherby
284 Win
7 SAUM
7 rem mag
7mm/375 Ruger
7 stw
7RUM
30 BR
300 rogue (300 win mag improved)
300 AI ( based on 300 roy case)
300 RUM
338 RCM
338 RUM

Your choice.

Plenty of good bullets for the 243....you dont have to have VLD's....and hence no special reamer

i have 2 26 inch barrels in 243 and 243 ai for my grandson they fit an encore frame.he shoots 105 berger vld in both with a 1 in 9 twist no problem.as far as the chamber a good gunsmith can bore the throat out a little.i just had a 280 ai done no special reemer.your mag will give you problems for sure.in my 7mm mag i set the bullet so it just clears the mag witch about 020 longer than the normal oal.good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts