243 range build

Of001

Im looking to get a 243 with the vast majority of use on the range. Budget about 1500USD 2000CAD plus scope, hand load only.

Must be stainless, preferably in a chassis or at least a crap enough stock to toss (price reasonably reflected as to accommodate the swap).
I would prefer moderate loads to prolong barrel life but occasional long range

Local range only goes to 300m but I would like to push out, probably not past 600yr as it would be a rare opportunity to try 1000.

Suggestions on rifle, bullets (twist recommendations)

I would go 7.5 twist for sure, 7 if you can't find a 7.5. 24-26" barrel. The easy way would be to buy a Savage with an accutrigger and throw the stock and barrel away, install a better stock and a pre-fit barrel. The model 12 Savages are where I would probably look if going that route. If it were my project I think I would probably try to find a Tikka and work from there, Bergara or Howa 1500 would also work. Thinking about it I have a Howa 1500 308 in a chassis I bought for a project that didn't happen, it would be a perfect donor action, trigger and chassis. I don't shoot it at all anymore because it doesn't have a threaded barrel and I shoot mostly suppressed now but the little bit I have shot it has shown it is very stable and easily sub-MOA. It has a trigger with the flipper in it like a Savage accutrigger, it's kinda clumsy but it is really good for what it is. You may want see if you can find one of these in Canada, if I remember correctly it was a run they did in MPA chassis with AR buttstock and they sold for around $600 new after they found out there just wasn't a lot of demand for them as configured. Mine shoots very well and I suspect they all do. I can only recall ever seeing them in blued steel, but for the money I don't think you can do much better getting a good action, trigger and chassis for under $600..... That leaves a lot of budget left for barrel, rail, rings and glass.

Well I missed out on a cz 557 varmint and Savage model 12 in 243. :( would have been build almost done.
I've decided to try a build... In gusto once my house sells that it.

Meanwhile, I have an option on a sako AII in caliber for a little higher than right price for an approved budget build or a sako L579 for "cheap" with a "fixed" cracked stock in 308.

Considering i have a mannlicher 579 in 308 that shoots 0.5moa all day long, is that a worthwhile donar action?

I did exactly this same thing a year ago. But I took a LOT of time scrounging for deals. I started with an Axis because it was cheap. It was a 30/06 from gunbroker in the sh#tty plastic stock. But I bought it for 169.00. I yanked the stock of course, but the barrel shot surprisingly well with thorough load development.

Anyhow, now it sits in an MDT chassis that I found for a once-in-a-lifetime deal and wears a .243Win Savage barrel. The current barrel also shoots incredibly well after thorough load development. It also now wears an Elftmann trigger that breaks exceptionally well in my opinion.

I say do it do it do it! But as SmithTX alluded to, I wouldn't start with the Axis. There is far more aftermarket support for Savage's 10, 12/110, 112 platforms.

I bought a Savage 12 action, a used Savage BVSS stock, and a .243 prefit bull barrel from EABCO and ended up with a superb budget LR rifle for under $600.

Just build a custom. You are already talking about changing stock and barrel.

You will NEVER say, "I sure wish I had bought a factory rifle instead."