.243 or 6 Creedmoor for my daughters first rifle

pburton

My daughter is 21 and up until recently had no interest in hunting. She just finished her hunters safety and has been going to the range with me at least once a month. The problem is she is left handed and all of my rifles are right. So I have decided to build her a rifle that fits her. I have been collecting parts and other than a stock have everything ready to ship off to the smith. I am at the point of choosing the chamber. The barrel I chose is a Krieger 6mm 1:8 twist #3 contour. I think I am going to go with a 22" finish length to keep it light and easy to handle. The action is a Rem700 SA and I'll be running factory BDL bottom metal. I've narrowed it down to .243 and 6 Creedmoor. Which do you think would be better in this set up? 6 Creedmoor looks like it will get better velocity, but I've never seen numbers through a shorter barrel.

To close to call. I would take the more modern 6 Creed. But that's based solely on looks.
Both do basically the same thing, with performance being measured rifle to rifle.

I don't think there will be any difference in velocity between the two.

Currently, I am building a full custom 6CM. My choices were 6x47L, 6XC, or 6CM. I like the case design better myself. The neck/shoulder design specifically over the .243 Win. But, case capacity between 6CM and .243 Win is very close.

If you reload, I would go 6CM. Of you are going to always use factory rounds, .243 Win. Especially if you plan to give the rifle to your daughter for her to keep. Then, she went have to rely on reloading for it.

I still think the 243 would be the better choice. Lot's of different loafing dies to choose from, and the 243 is well known for it's accuracy. It's not picky at all when it comes to powder choice, and if your daughter ever goes off with out dad's loaded ammo, most any store that carries ammo will have a few to several choices of ammo she can get by with.

I agree with some others, if your reloading 6 Creed, if you are using factory, then the 243. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The 243 is a time proven cartridge (and for good reason), and the 6 Creedmoor is the hot new 6mm (again, for good reason). She'll be happy either way.

Im building a Cpl 6mm Creedmoor's one on a Win 70 SS action/ Benchmark #1 contour, 1-8 twist SS Barrel as we speak, one on a Carl Gustaf Target rifle with a heavy barrel ( JC C custom barrel), can't wait to get them to the range, I would go 6mm CM over the 243, but the reality is you can't go wrong with either cartridge.

Funny thing where I live the factory ammo for the 6mm CM is cheaper than the 243 ?

I kinda figured that this is the response that I would get. Thank you for all of the input. I'm still undecided, but I'm starting to lean more one direction.

I would go .243 because I've never seen factory 6 CM ammo in person. My daughter's first rifle is a .243 Win, I load for her but ammo is everywhere. Think I shoot it more than she does.:D
Either way, if ballistics are similar she will have a great deer/target rifle. I have been pretty impressed with its performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.