243 or 243 AI

Makes me wonder what the difference in 26 vs 28 barrels with 240 bee? I would of thought that it would burn clean by 26 inches. I mean its not a monster case capacity. But for the reloader or even factory ammo what if any increase would be possible till diminishing returns?
Got a 22 CHeeta with 27" barrel and that thing just screams. You could start long and shortin it if you don't like it. Had 26" 243 back in the day and it was sweet. but never had anything over 95 grs. run through it.

It gains 8.1% in velocity by the Ackley design
AI increase by percent xsm.jpg

... at least when using a 100 gr. pill

How do you like the 7X57AI ? Got one on Mauser action I've thought about AIing for years.
I like it Brad. Mine is a rebarreled Ruger 77. Its a tack driver with Hammer bullets. It'll do anything the 280 will do. Its running 101 HH at 3490 fps and 120 HH at 3245 fps as measured by my Labradar.

I like it Brad. Mine is a rebarreled Ruger 77. Its a tack driver with Hammer bullets. It'll do anything the 280 will do. Its running 101 HH at 3490 fps and 120 HH at 3245 fps as measured by my Labradar.
Now that's what I wanted to hear. Was shootin a 95 Chilean Mauser over 40+ years ago that thought it was a target rifle. My cousin got me interested in the 7 Mauser back in the day and now he hasn't shot his in years. Always had a soft spot for the old cartridge. Shoots way flater than it should and with modern loads it will kill anything I'm apt to come up on.

Now that's what I wanted to hear. Was shootin a 95 Chilean Mauser over 40+ years ago that thought it was a target rifle. My cousin got me interested in the 7 Mauser back in the day and now he hasn't shot his in years. Always had a soft spot for the old cartridge. Shoots way flater than it should and with modern loads it will kill anything I'm apt to come up on.
Got mine from a dealer in SD and it had a long throat and wouldn't shoot very good. It was a rechambered 7 Mauser. I bought a Krieger sporter match grade sporter weight barrel and had Dave Kiff at PTG make me a reamer with a shorter throat. I can send you the reamer print if you wish. I had issues with getting Barnes to shoot under 3/4" and shelved it for a year for other projects. Then I found Hammer bullets! This rifle came alive with Hammers, keeping groups in the .5-.6 area with several powders I tested. I also found PPU brass to be very good brass and priced well. I find it similar to my 284 Win. but will match 284 speeds with less powder, given the same bullet. YMMV