.243 New Barrel Question

Ghost7

I have a Savage mod 12 LRP in .243 w/ 9.25 twist. Currently able to shoot 105 Amax .005" from lands. Thinking about purchasing a new barrel with 8 twist so I can shoot the 105 hybrids. Currently I have plenty of room in magazine with the Amax, will I still have room shooting the hybrids in a new barrel? Appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on the subject.

You shouldn't worry about the seating depth because the hybrid will pretty much shoot at any distance from the lands.

Berger says: "The Berger Hybrid design incorporates two different shapes within the nose. As the bearing surface ends, a tangent ogive begins. This tangent section of the ogive results in the bullet being much less sensitive to seating depth. Testing results show that the Berger Hybrid shoot equally well at either a jam or a jump.

As you move forward along the tangent portion, the shape changes into a secant ogive. The secant ogive is the shape used on the VLD bullets. This shape is very efficient in the wind and is why the VLD became so popular.

By bringing these two shapes together, Bryan has successfully created a bullet that is both not sensitive to seating depth and shoots very flat like a VLD." link: http://www.bergerbullets.com/berger-hybrid-bullets/

I have shot the 105 hybrids into the lands and over .150" away with excellent accuracy in both situations. The big jump was so I could use a SA Rem as a repeater with a 6mm-284. My single shot 6 BR has the same bullet into the rifling.

I have helped several friends with their rifles and my own rifles with other hybrids with a wide range of seating depths from .245" to .015 into the lands. If a magazine is involved I simply seat the bullet to fit and feed from the magazine and work up the load. Here are the other hybrids were used:

243 cal 95 gr classic hunter hybrid in a 6mm-284 sporter
215 match target hybrid in two 300 Win mags
30 cal 230 gr match target hybrids 3 RUMs and a 300 WSM
30 cal 168 classic hunter hybrid in a 308
338 cal 300 gr 300 gr OTM Tactical hybrid in two different 338 RCMs
168 classic hunter in four 7 Rem mags
180 match target hybrid in 7 rem mag and 7/375 Ruger

Ok thanks...new question. 4 or 5r for new barrel and why? How does each influence velocity? Accuracy? Etc.? Pros and cons of each, so confused.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.