243 Low Recoil Loads - For Kids?

arcticroad

My 7 year old just got a little Rossi for deer season. I shot it to see how it would be for her. Need some help building a load that won't bust her eye. Anyone out there got one? I saw Hornady made custom lites, but can't find them anywhere. Seems like they are discontinued?

I'd think about something like an 80 grain bullet at 2600-2800 fps with a light load of 4895 or 4064 pushing it. Lighter loads need a mid rate powder to keep them uniform in colder temps.. Something like 7828 or rl22 is to be avoided if you aren't going full speed here. You will still get good trajectory and penetration to a couple of hundred paces.

My pops knocked down gobs of coyotes with loads like this back when 'yotes brought good $$. I called him to confirm what he was doing because I ran my 243 with full powder stuff when I shot one.

Hodgon website offers youth loads using h4895. Using some info for the 270 win -270 wsm to come up with a load for my sons 280 ackley. First try was 38 grains with a 120 nosler BT. He's 13 and shot 1 inch groups. Not gotta put any more effort into the load it's deer woods accurate. His gun is a custom Red Hawk Rifles lightweight with a brake. Kicks like a hot 223. Rifle weighs about 6+- lbs. good luck to your daughter

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.