243 long range questions

handirifle

My next build will be a long range 243. I plan on an 8 twist barrel, but am wondering about COAL. I want to keep the rifle as a repeater, so that will determine a lot of what else I can do with it. Thus I want to draw on the experience of this forum.

I figure bullets in the 105-107 weight for sure, but also wondering about the 115's. Has anyone here shot either the 115 DTAC or the 115 Berger, through an 8 twist barrel? Did they stabilize and how long did you load them?

I also wonder about throat depth for those bullets. In my thinking, the rifle would most often be shot from 100-600yds and hopefully get a chance to 1000 on occasion. I would use the 115s (if they work) for long range target only, cause I think there are better hunting bullets. If need be I could single load them, but I wouldn't want to make the throat super long for them and make it inaccurate for the shorter bullets.

Comments, suggestions?

Thanks

I have a 1:7.5 twist Bartlien 24" .243 that I shoot out to 830yds weekly. Im running the 105 Berger Hybrid @ 3000ish and Jon bean land cut it so I was touching the lands @ 2.835 and I seat mine a 2.840 .005 jam. I run a Defiance action thats cut for AW mags and use them as they will allow me to seat out to 2.940 ( I think ) if i need to start chasing the lands.

I also have some 105 Hunting VLD's im going to try next time I shoot to see how the drops are compared to the Hybrids with a lil higher coefficent. So that might be a good option to look at if your shooting mostly 100-600 and wanna hunt with it.

My drops are

200yds------.4 mils
400----------1.6mils
600----------3.1mils
830----------5.4mils

The 105's have proven more accurate, as a rule, than the longer bullets. Therefore, most folks choose to stay with 105's...

Is the 8 twist sufficient for all the 105's? David Tubb has won some big matches with his bullet. I read he uses a 1-7.5 twist most of the time. Do you think that might explain why their accuracy isn't up to par?

I think the Davidson Brothers of Gunwerks shoot the 115 D-tac out of the 6cx out to 800 to 900 on deer/antelope. Not a lot of difference between the 243 and the 6cx. Their website may list the twist. If not call Sierra, they make the D-tac for Tubbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.