.243 loads

bob4

This really isn't for long range hunting but I just won a large shopping spree due to friends of NRA. One of my purchases includes a 243 Rem 700. 1:10 twist. I would like to use Bergers and be able to drop a deer. Extreme distance might be 300 yds. Anyone have recommended powders to start ? Before we talk about better choices in calibers, I have a 300 wm and a 270 Win I can put deer down with all day.
REMEMBER:With Every rifle purchase a die set and powder and projectiles needs to be considered.

I currently shoot 105 Amax at 3100+ with R-26 using less than the Alliant listed max. My rifle is a 1:8" twist.

With the 1:10" twist I wouldn't go with the 105 though. Try the 87gr Berger or the 90gr swift scirocco/90gr nobler accubond. I have killed plenty of deer with the 90gr ballistic tips out of a Browning BAR with 1:10" twist. They shot sub moa all day for me in that set up. If you want speed out of your 243, Alliant's R-26 shoots 200fps faster than anything else with heavy bullets, but R-17 may be best for the 87/90gr pills. Good accuracy for me so far with both powders, but 17 is temp instable.

I use Lee collet dies and shoot just under .5 MOA over the last 400 rounds so far.

Have fun shooting!

Great groups with 87gr Bergers and H4350. IMR4451 Enduron is a temp insensitive substitute for the hard to find H4350.

H4350 and 95 Nosler Hunting Ballistic Tips.

The "Hunting" ballistic tips have proven themselves worthy for deer size game. Keep speeds under 3000 and bullet performance will be perfect. I shoot them at 2850 and really perform well. The hunting ballistic tip is not your grandpas ballistic tip it is designed based on Noslers old Solid Base design but with a polymer tip. The 90 Hunting ballistic tip is just as good a bullet also.

Can check out some gel and water testing here Nosler Reloading Forum • View forum - 6mm/.243

This really isn't for long range hunting but I just won a large shopping spree due to friends of NRA. One of my purchases includes a 243 Rem 700. 1:10 twist. I would like to use Bergers and be able to drop a deer. Extreme distance might be 300 yds. Anyone have recommended powders to start ? Before we talk about better choices in calibers, I have a 300 wm and a 270 Win I can put deer down with all day.
REMEMBER:With Every rifle purchase a die set and powder and projectiles needs to be considered.
bob4,
With your 1-10 twist barrel I would suggest either our 6mm 87 grain Hunting VLD or the 6mm 95 grain CLASSIC HUNTER bullets. You can find Berger VLD seating depth testing information here:
Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD Bullets in Your Rifle | Berger Bullets Blog
And more information on our CLASSIC HUNTER bullets here:New Berger Classic Hunter Bullets | Berger Bullets Blog
We can also help with loading data at [email protected]
Take care,

My 1:9.125 twist .243 loves the 95 grain berger classics with IMR4831. It is an honest consistent 1/4" gun with those projectiles with 4 shot groups. I have shot several 4 shot groups in the .125" range. Gun is a rem 700, but does have the varmint barrel in a 26" length. It is a heavy monster in a B&C stock.

My 243 is a varmint weight 1 in 10 24". I shoot 95gr nosler Bal Tips over IMR4831
at just a tick over 3000fps.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

bob4, in my 1-10 twist I've had great luck with IMR4350 and 90 AB's. 1/4-3/5 5 shot groups are the norm. Somewhere on this computer I have a photo of a 4 shot group at 500 yards measuring under 1.75". That's a .35" 100 yard group. Velocity is 3175 fps through my 24" barrel.
For going out to 300 max any of the quality 85-95 grain pills will stabilize well in your rifle. I and H 4350 are good choices as are many others. For any whitetail on the planet, the 85-95gr pills moving around 3k will do them in the dirt.

Anyone use 95 gn Bergers in a 1:10 twist 24 inch barrel. They're calling for a 1:9 for optimum.

I would think the Remington is 1:9 1/8. I did not have good results with the 95 vld. if you follow barefoot advice and shoot the classic hunter it should do great.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.