243 loaded with hornady 58 gr v max

pressman

i was getting ready to work up some loads with 58gr v max and i noticed that if i load them to the standard length of 2.710 that i only have about 1/8 of bullet stuck in the neck. That just does not seam enough. has anyone else loaded these? is that enough?

I prefer to have more than that inside then neck, but you've still got 1/2 caliber burried, so in theory you'll be ok. (.243 / 2 = .125") Just don't handle the ammo real rough or you could get the bullets out of concentric to the centerline of the case/chamber.

From where you are now, you can adjust your seating depth in a little at a time and test for best accuracy at deeper seatings. If accuracy degrades as you seat the bullets deeper, I'd personally try a longer heavier bullet.

Thanks Bruce i do have some 70 gr as well as 87, 95 and 105. i am just getting ready to start a major let's find a good load for coyote's
My IOR scope should be here by the end of the week. so just getting some ideas on loads.

pressman,
Went through the same thing looking for a groundhog load. I try to follow the 1/2 a caliber inside the neck rule (i.e., .243 / 2 = .1215). Sometimes this doesn't work or look just right to me and I will go off instinct and sink them a little deeper and adjust OAL as accuracy dictates.
I eventually went with a longer, heavier bullet. The little 58gn and 65gn V-Max's are fast and explosive but loose out in the wind the farther away your shots start getting. I noticied my average of hits on groundhogs and crows tended to rise when I stayed at 85gn and above.
My .243 loves the 85, 90 and 95gn pills. For now I've settled on the 90gn Ballistic Tip for any varmints and medium range deer. I have taken groundhogs out to 600yds with this bullet. Good luck in your search. JohnnyK.

I load them to 2.600 coal it shoots great load is N-140 43.0 gr coal works fine I was going to do the same thing but my new hornady book is saying to load them deep 1-10 twist with light bullets need to be down more than your 95 or 100 grain bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.