243 how far on deer

Checked out the video...Okay, wow, now I'm convinced that at least starting with a 75gr Vmax on up is enough. I'm a little surprised the Vmax gave you enough penetration especially at 400 yrds. I was really concerned the 85gr HPBT SGK wouldn't have enough weight to smack a big one.

Where did you hit the first deer in the video? That one went down like a stone!

I've used the 85 Game Kings as well, and they are an excellent bullet on big deer.
I'm not saying the 75 Vmax is the right bullet for this task, but it proved itself a 1/2 MOA load at this range so I used it. It was going WELL BELOW book speeds too.
The following year, I had an equally accurate load worked up for 105 Amax.

The buck was hit just forward of the facing shoulder, went in through the throat area and turned the back side lung to jello. Slid between two ribs and found it inside the opposite shoulder.
The doe was hit right in the sternum area and did the same thing, turned the far side lung to jello..but since it was more of a facing shot...it penetrated lots farther before it met the rib cage. The jacket was stuck between two ribs, clear back where the diaphragm attaches inside the chest cavity.

I've used the 85 Game Kings as well, and they are an excellent bullet on big deer.

Thanks for the info c_bass. I will be after a big buck; "Rocky Mtn Mule Deer" are the species common in this premium California zone so it reassuring to know these bullets are capable. I have seen the bucks. The zone where I drew a tag (less than 1/100 chance) is the same area where my shooting range is and not far from my home in Lake Tahoe. So its is maybe a once in a lifetime chance. Now I'm more confident about using the bullet I chose when I started reloading for my 243 for target shooting...the 85gr SGK. It is very accurate but I thought it might be too explosive for a big deer. But after reading your and other posts I think I'll go with it. (Well I have a 100gr Interlock backup load that goes out at 3080fps for shots over 300 yards.) Can't wait!!

Thanks for the info c_bass. I will be after a big buck; "Rocky Mtn Mule Deer" are the species common in this premium California zone so it reassuring to know these bullets are capable. I have seen the bucks. The zone where I drew a tag (less than 1/100 chance) is the same area where my shooting range is and not far from my home in Lake Tahoe. So its is maybe a once in a lifetime chance. Now I'm more confident about using the bullet I chose when I started reloading for my 243 for target shooting...the 85gr SGK. It is very accurate but I thought it might be too explosive for a big deer. But after reading your and other posts I think I'll go with it. (Well I have a 100gr Interlock backup load that goes out at 3080fps for shots over 300 yards.) Can't wait!!

***I'd go with the 100 grain interlock for what you're describing at any distance for that mulie.

24 inch tc icon 243 85 grain gameking 2 deer one at 305 yards and another 471 neck shots but dead rite there .

Thanks for each of your opinions on this. Now I know I have 3 good projectiles to choose from. The 100gr interlock delivers the most energy but except for over 400 yards the TSX & SGK should have enough umph with decent placement. I've been out scouting and if things go according to plan I will take one at well under 300 yards. Another zone I have a tag for may require a longer shot due to terrain and greater number of hunters affecting the deers' behavior. My normal practice range is 100 - 400 yards.
Report forthcoming in Oct.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.