.243 for hogs?

Yes, they have armor plate out around the chest/shoulder. Not exactly sure where at but it is tougher hide than any other big game out there.

243 are capable of.... It all depends on the bullet selection and shot placement.

So its been three months and did you get any hogs?

Unfortunately, no. We saw 3 in one group the first day, all boars and about 200# each, and neither of us were even looking for them. The gun was back at the cabin. (as he whacks his forhead with his palm.....) They were about 250 Yds away, and as soon as they saw the truck they disappeared, never to be seen again. I didn't think the 17 HMR would do it at that distance.

leaving the house without your shooter is like leaving home without your pants and shoes,and you get your butt burned every timegun)

What's with all the people saying "A .243 will be fine, just shoot them behind the ear and they will drop on the spot, I have no doubts it will work."?

A .22 LR will kill them with a shot behind the ear! So will a 20mm Vulcan. Every animal will drop when shot in the BRAIN! Maybe they'll twitch a bit, but it will ALWAYS be an instant kill.

Pretty much anything in North America will drop from a shot to the head, especially with a centerfire rifle.

People need to stop acting so surprised when that the Behind-the-Ear-Shot is an instant kill. I live on a farm, I regularly kill 1500-1600lb steers with a .22 LR and a 38 grain hollowpoint.

"Shoot it in the head, that should kill it quick."
No s***, man.

What's with all the people saying "A .243 will be fine, just shoot them behind the ear and they will drop on the spot, I have no doubts it will work."?

A .22 LR will kill them with a shot behind the ear! So will a 20mm Vulcan. Every animal will drop when shot in the BRAIN! Maybe they'll twitch a bit, but it will ALWAYS be an instant kill.

Pretty much anything in North America will drop from a shot to the head, especially with a centerfire rifle.

People need to stop acting so surprised when that the Behind-the-Ear-Shot is an instant kill. I live on a farm, I regularly kill 1500-1600lb steers with a .22 LR and a 38 grain hollowpoint.

"Shoot it in the head, that should kill it quick."
No s***, man.
you did notice that this thread is almost 3 years old right?!

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how I didn't notice that. This wasn't too far down in the Hog Hunting section.

Nonetheless, I stand by my point. Headshots are headshots. Don't act surprised when they kill animals fast.

Have killed many, many hogs with .204 Ruger. Put it behind their ear and it doesn't require a cannon.
That being said, a .243 Winchester Mod. 70 Featherweight wreaked the havoc in the picture below.

Attachments

• 100_0904.jpg
    100_0904.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 126
I'm flying to Dallas on may 8th to visit a friend, do some fly fishing for some trophy bass, and he also happens to have some hogs on his "farm" (1300 ac) that could use some thinning out. He really doesn't shoot a rifle, but he said that there is a 30-06 at the farm that the ranch hand uses. He said that a couple of hogs under 100# would cook up nice, but the next sentence was "I hope you know how to clean them because I don't." Well, THAT won't be a problem!:D

So, it's either use the 30--06 (he didn't know what type of rifle it was) or ship my .243 down to myself. I've got it throwing the 85g Barnes TSX bullets @ 3350 fps and they're grouping 3/4 moa.

So, you think it'll be enough or should I take my chances with the 30-06?

a 150lb. hog will work just fine with the .243 using 85 grain+ bullets
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.