243 For Coyotes, What's A Good Load

So i picked up a youth model remington 700 ADL with a synthetic stock and 20" barrel and plan on using it for a truck/SXS gun on the ranch. Just curious as to what some of the other guy's are shooting and maybe get a load idea or 2, with the shortage/hoarding going on, components are hard to come by. Thanks in advance
The hornady 75 grain v-max is awesome! The next best to lightning ⚡️.

If you want to try 75 grain v-max I'll send you a box of them. Speed kills that's why I recommend them with the short barrel. I'm getting 3450 out of them with a 22" barrel and 1-10 twist so you should be able to get 3300+ with the 20" barrel.

Great advice here with the 75 VMax. I ve shot a numbers of coyotes with this bullet at 3400 FPS also out of a 243. DRT. Seemed to be more violent than the 87 VMax for me.... had a few run 25-30 yds with it.

My Rem Model 7 243 loves 85 gr. Sierra Gameking and 42 gr. Varget......great on deer also.

Last edited:
Sorry for not being very clear, and my post is a little muddled but i am looking for load recommendations. Have my niece and nephew running around and couldn't think straight
70 grain BK and imr 4064 was my best. I had the 700 youth plastic stock and it was a shooting machine I made pillars out of pipe and devcon 10-110 bedded the action

So i picked up a youth model remington 700 ADL with a synthetic stock and 20" barrel and plan on using it for a truck/SXS gun on the ranch. Just curious as to what some of the other guy's are shooting and maybe get a load idea or 2, with the shortage/hoarding going on, components are hard to come by. Thanks in advance
This is another load that shoots well I added the and now it has a m24 bartlein on but it shot pretty good when it all original

Attachments

• 499F38F8-942B-429F-9F96-63CE915370ED.png
    499F38F8-942B-429F-9F96-63CE915370ED.png
    341.3 KB · Views: 144
I am using Nosler 55 grain spitzers on top of IMR 8208.
I find them to be extremely accurate out of all 3 of my .243 Winchester rifles and they perform spectacularly on Prairie Dogs and Coyotes. 345 yards is the farthest that I have used them, but everything was DRT.

I'm a little unconventional, but I shoot 55g Nosler or 58G VMax out of my 6MM Remington. I can get over 4000fps with any one of 5 powders I use, so with the .243 you should be at 3900fps or close to. Absolutely devastating. You may want heavier to fight wind, but the extra flatness is good for guessed distances. Optics Planet has the VMax in stock. Recoil is nearly non-existent if you are training youngins. Heavy for caliber may be the new hotness, but if I hit a coyote in the leg, I want to find the leg.

Last edited:

Recent Posts