243 for Aoudad

If you are confident in the rifle, if your cartridge is accurate, if there is sufficient foot pounds of energy to put down a heavy animal of this nature then you make the decision. Bullet placement would have to be precise. If the aoudad is relatively close....then maybe. But, I used my 300WSM to drop a 30" ram at less than 100 yds. This with a hand loaded 180 gr. Accubond. One and done. Tipped him right over. Did not take another step.
243 for aoudad? Read what has been offered and make an informed decision. MTG

I used my 243 win on a Dall sheep. Sierra 100gr game king @ 3020fps, shot was at 489 yards elevation was 7400 ft.
Three shots 2 in the lungs, 1 in the shoulder recovered 2 of the 3 bullets nice mushroom performance.
Sheep are wimps when hit, but I won't take my 243 on my next sheep hunt
Steve Bair

So what was the point of asking us our opinion? Also yup a varmint bullet to the neck would do the job. I was only going to get one shot at this so I stand by my personal opinion of .243 not being enough gun for Aoudad. unless perhaps you have lots of opportunities such as living where they live but for a guy like me who may never get to hunt them again I'll stick with a magnum and put it in the shoulders.
Probably so he could hear everybody talk about how bullet proof they and have a good laugh...

I used my 243 win on a Dall sheep. Sierra 100gr game king @ 3020fps, shot was at 489 yards elevation was 7400 ft.
Three shots 2 in the lungs, 1 in the shoulder recovered 2 of the 3 bullets nice mushroom performance.
Steve Bai

Last edited:
Steve Bair

I prefer to only have to shoot things once. Not saying that sheep wouldn't have taken more hits from 180gr+ .30 cal bullets but...

Steve Bair

Aoudad are not wimps when hit.

Killed my first Aoudad this past week-- .257wby, 131gr blackjack, 147 yards. Small entrance, no exit, explosive performance inside. Would absolutely use again.

When gutting I absolutely noticed how far forward the vitals are compared to deer. Also- my ram had a broken front right leg and the shoulder had atrophied... when we rolled him over to the other side that fully functioning shoulder was definitely stout.

Given the terrain, distances, wind etc I think there are probably better choices than a .243 but if the shooter stays within the parameters of their equipment I'm sure it would work.

It is important to point out that there is a big difference between hunting Texas Audads fair chase in the mountains of west Texas and behind a fence in the hill country.

This was low fence 16 thousand acres north of Del Rio Tx borders the devils river. In 2 days we saw 400+ Aoudad and a bunch of Mouflons and Spanish goats.

Killed my first Aoudad this past week-- .257wby, 131gr blackjack, 147 yards. Small entrance, no exit, explosive performance inside. Would absolutely use again.

When gutting I absolutely noticed how far forward the vitals are compared to deer. Also- my ram had a broken front right leg and the shoulder had atrophied... when we rolled him over to the other side that fully functioning shoulder was definitely stout.

Given the terrain, distances, wind etc I think there are probably better choices than a .243 but if the shooter stays within the parameters of their equipment I'm sure it would work.
Was it just south of Van Horn by chance? I was on an Aoudad hunt about 20 miles S. of Van Horn and hit one just at dark and it limped off and dropped over the ridge before I could get another shot on it. We searched all the next day and couldn't locate it (or any blood either). A nice 32" ram.

My only experience was free range public land hunt. Shot one myself and witnessed two more. A 308 and 7mag did the trick quickly. I would think (and the proof is in the pudding) that a properly constructed 6mm projectile would work fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.