.243 case dimensions

Aussie

Anyone had experience with Winchester .243 brass being significantly undersize when measured at the case head ? According to my source the measurement should be .471 .
My brass measures .463 before first firing . Expansion ring measures .475 after firing so quite an unsightly bulge .Is this a problem or just cosmetic ?
Thought my gunsmith must have used an oversize reamer at first .Any comments ? It's a .243 Ackley by the way .

[ 09-22-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

Aussie,
I know exactly what you are talking about,
Win.brass is often undersized. you will
never find the .471 you are looking for but
the Lapua 243 brass is .469 instead of Win.
being .463
I discussed this same thing under "what is
best brass for 22-250AI" check it out you
will be amused (or horrified)
B

Brian ,
Thanks for the info.
It was your comment on .22/250 brass that prompted this thread .
Would still be interested in any comments on my chamber dimensions if any gunsmiths read this .

This phenomenon has existed for a very long time, for whatever reason? It may be shrinkage in the molding/casting process? It may also be intentional, as with autoloaders? Think AR forward assist. I think you can order small base dies, for some cartridges; for sure 223 Remington? But, it never has created "much" of a problem, other than esthetics....so far as I know? And, it's true, I don't know that much.
tongue.gif

Good hunting. LB

LB,
Great point. I never really thought about the dies/moldings shrinking over time but It sounds perfectly conceivable. I'll bet if that's the case, they probably know about it but won't ever change it due to cost of new dies, but they should!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.