.243 barrel length?

coyotebuster

I'm going to be getting a .243 mainly for long range coyotes. I'm not sure about the length of barrel I should get. I'm leaning towards just a regular savage with the accu stock and accu trigger and just painting it myself to keep the price down. What i'm really wondering though is how much of a difference will a 24" barrel make compared to a 22". I probably wouldn't be shooting any further than 800yds. Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Either would be fine. The longer you get the more velocity you will see, but between 22" and 24" there will be very little noticeable difference. The 24" would be my pick. The name of the long range game is velocity+stability=accuracy down range with hard hitting performance. I am a huge advocate of savage and would say you can't go wrong with either. You could only do better going with the Mod 12 varmint series that will provide a 26" barrel. You should be happy with what ever Savage you decide on.

Tank

+1 on the model 12 varmint series. The Savage model 12 VLP DBM is the one in the series that offers a chambering in 243.

Yeah that model 12 does look like a sweet gun. I kinda want to stay away from the fairly heavy models though just because I often snowshoe in a long ways to the spots I call.

is it that steep where you snow shoe?? for long range heavier is better. a 27.5 inch krieger is about right. for the areas where i get closer shots a i use an h&k 630

dear sir knowing the short are offten very long shot and the possiblity is remote to bring them in closer but this too is possible with some training and skill of the learning process and training i am looking forward to doing this in the training class i am sign up for in aug training school for a number of varment hunter not far from my home thank you for your suggestion and comments on the subject thank you so much don kunkel

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.