.243 at 300 yds

I just got into 300 yard shoots well the best i can score with my gun is a 173 and trust me it isnt the shooter. i have shot my friends gun and i can score higher than he can with it like i shot with it last time and scored a 194 out of 200 so anyways back on topic i would like to know what i could do to my bullet or gun to make it shoot better. Im shooting a marlin xs7 243 with a boyds thumbhole varmint stock, nikon buckmaster 6-18x40mm sf and bdc and a bipod. the gun does not have a heavy barrel on it but i looked and putting one on for about $250. the bullet im shooting is 100 gr sp hornady with 33.7 gr of imr 3031 powder so any feed back would help.

Thanks, Zack

Is the action:
Floated?
Bedded?

Scope mount confirmed solid?

Tell us about your load.

Zack
In my opinion, .243 is great for 300yd shots with the right equipment.
One thing particular that stuck out to me is the bullet of choice. For me, in a .243, 6XC, 6 Comp Match, I would use strictly a Berger bullet at anything past 200. The 105gr and 95gr bullets from Berger (Hunting bullet) work great for match shooting and game getting.

One BIG issue with .243 and a 105gr Bullet combo is that it usually leaves you single loading/single shot style due to long bullets. (Hence the reason I went to 6XC, best of both worlds)

.243 shoots great with a variety of powders, but I'd look at using a sleeker bullet in that rifle.
Maybe the Marlin rifle isn't up to the task of 300yd shots... A lot of variable with stock rifles.

There could be a ton of things to look over
Start with the basics and go from there. Is everything tightened correctly, what weight is the trigger set at. If the gun is set up next is look at the load.

What type of load/gun is your buddy shooting. I have not shot comp before and don't know how good or bad your score is but you should be able to improve it but not every stock barrel is going to shoot lights out.

Good luck

There could be a ton of things to look over
Start with the basics and go from there. Is everything tightened correctly, what weight is the trigger set at. If the gun is set up next is look at the load.

What type of load/gun is your buddy shooting. I have not shot comp before and don't know how good or bad your score is but you should be able to improve it but not every stock barrel is going to shoot lights out.

Good luck

The first thing that ran thru my mind was ( are we comparing apples to apples) when it comes to you buddy's rifle and ammo? You have been given verygood input, but
I'd like to hear more about your buddy's set up.

I just got into 300 yard shoots well the best i can score with my gun is a 173 and trust me it isnt the shooter. i have shot my friends gun and i can score higher than he can with it like i shot with it last time and scored a 194 out of 200 so anyways back on topic i would like to know what i could do to my bullet or gun to make it shoot better. Im shooting a marlin xs7 243 with a boyds thumbhole varmint stock, nikon buckmaster 6-18x40mm sf and bdc and a bipod. the gun does not have a heavy barrel on it but i looked and putting one on for about $250. the bullet im shooting is 100 gr sp hornady with 33.7 gr of imr 3031 powder so any feed back would help.

Thanks, Zack

Zack,

Off the top of my head; I'd say try IMR4350 if you can find some. As for the bullet(s), if you're just hanging at 300 yards stay in the middle of the weight range. Berger 90 BT is about right or something like them I'd think. Don't make the mistake of trying to push the bullet too hard, those velocity aren't really needed at that range for match performs, and the lighter recoil can only help, plus with the lower pressure you can get a little closer to the lands if needed. I'm assuming your shooting a 1-10 or 1-9 twist.
Well anyway, good luck.
Cheer's

How well has the barrel been taken care of? Has it been shot rapidly without time to cool? Has it had a bunch of rounds thru it?

The gun it's self has had close to 250 or 300 rounds thru it. I do shoot it a lot but I do give it time to cool between each shot and I also clean it every time I'm done shooting it. And I was also looking on some other forums and the guys said they love to shoot Speer 243 85 gr bt they said and 300 yards they are still moving fast and steady. What do y'all think?

The gun it's self has had close to 250 or 300 rounds thru it. I do shoot it a lot but I do give it time to cool between each shot and I also clean it every time I'm done shooting it. And I was also looking on some other forums and the guys said they love to shoot Speer 243 85 gr bt they said and 300 yards they are still moving fast and steady. What do y'all think?

Zack,

Cleaning can some time be a funny deal. Take a match where 60 plus spotter as the norm.. if most shooters have time they clean after each match for the next run. Others may not. When I setting up the scope or testing a load I clean after ever 5 rounds. If I'm looking at cold bore groups and accuracy I clean after each shot, this is more for the tactical guys, who work with the cold shot as possible the only shot.

As for the bullet(s), just about anything in the middle range of the weight class for 6 mm going to work; as I stated earlier'.., or didn't. I've punch a few rounds down range in a .243 cal in matches, when your looking at a 300 yard NRA bull it more about the waterline than trajectory with a 6 mm... the six will shoot more than flat enough in near any cartridge and bullet style.. I found early on that many of the flat base 6's worked just as good, and better in many case's over the boat tails. If that 85gr BT looks good try it, you'll never know until you do. It's not about "great B.C" at that range; it's about the X-ring and how many you can put into it, most good shooter are going to clean that target, and the X count going to win it.

Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.