243 and a shoulder surgery...

jcooper1389

ive beeen shooting tmy .300 win mag alot lately..but my hard labor job had torn my labral cratilage and i was forced to but a rem 700 in SA 243..how far with what load can i shoot my 700 accurately with a killshot on what animal...please..any advice is appreciated

I had shoulder surgery 5 yrs. ago. I put a Vias Brake on my 7WSM. Best 275.00 i ever spent. Still shooting it today, Recoils at or less than my 243.

I reload with the 105 A-max w/Superformance with a MV of 2970 out of a 22" tube. My longest shot is only 300 yds on a deer, but the numbers say it should be effective out to 500-600 yds on the whitetail. I think with a 26" tube you can reach out there to the 700 yds range with no trouble and no recoil!! Just got a 6.5-20x50 Vortex to mount on the Savage this weekend. I would find friends with different calibers and shoot their rifles to see what feels comfortable to your shoulder. You just don't need monster magnums for deer for medium range shooting. Good luck!!

ive beeen shooting tmy .300 win mag alot lately..but my hard labor job had torn my labral cratilage and i was forced to but a rem 700 in SA 243..how far with what load can i shoot my 700 accurately with a killshot on what animal...please..any advice is appreciated

All questions and not one answer....LOL

Factory rifle...with the right ammo....400 yards on deer sized animals and thats mainly because of the Foot lbs of power at 400. Light bullets and ground hogs...as far as you can hold tight on.

As far as you can shoot and have the bullet expand reliably, with enough energy to cause a bit of shock. I wouldnt shoot a .243win for deer, but thats becasue there are better options for me. for yourself I would keep it under 400yards like Sully 2 said. Unless you are very proficient with your rifle, then you could probably step up to 500-550. If you want to shoot farther than 400 yards (on deer) I would go bigger and put a muzzle brake on it. The .264 dia and up are goin to do alot better with little recoil, especially if you break it.

.260 Rem unbraked would do the trick and get you out there farther.
I would do for something like a .280 rem around 12lbs and brake it, it would be a ***** cat. 6.5-.284 would be sweet in the same 12lbs'er.

I use my .243 alot and love it, for coyotes. Shot some rocks at 780 yards the other day and had a blast, but rocks and coyotes are diffrent than deer. Its a great round as long as you keep it short'ish range (for deer).

some guys rant about the best of the west guys killing elk at crazy distances with a .243win... video editing is a beatiful thing in the marketing word.

You have a few answers about hunting with it...So let me address things I have done to help me shoot. But first a little background....

In an ambush in Iraq I dislocated both shoulders, damaged my upper and lower spine, TBI ,(that[s not all but you get the picture) and have to shoot out of a wheelchair.

Here are things I have done:

Worked on how I hold my weapons

Added high end recoil pads

Custom made muzzle brakes for all my "big guns" (called and explained why/what I needed)

Purchased a form fitting shooting shirt that has a high end pad insert

Use a sled when testing ammo at the range

Now I shoot all of my rifles again, including: Lazzeroni Warbird, 338 Lapua, and 375 Weatherby

Best of Luck,
Andy

Its a Rem 700 24 or 26"heavy barrel not a krieger and yes i reload...

its my coyote rifle and and ive gotten 2 problem yotes from a sheep farm but that was between 150 and 250...wasnt sure how far i could knock em out from...but ill have to check the shirt with the pad insert out...and also the brake is a good idea...didnt think of that for some reason lol thanks guys

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.