243 AI w/ 115 Berger and Retumbo

Elk Chaser

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of load research for my new rifle and have got plenty of load data for the 105's in my 243 but haven't found anything on the 115's. If anybody has suggestions or a starting point to recommend preferably using Retumbo I'd be grateful for any information you may have.

Your best 2 options are to start with 44grns H4831sc and work to around 45.5grns and that'll probably be your most consistent load, hitting around 3075-3100 depending on your barrel, then if Retumbo is a must start with about 49.5grns and work up close to 51grns and that will also get you about 3100fps. On a side note, you may already know but H4831sc is also alot cleaner burning powder from my experience.

Thanks for the information, I do have some H-4831 although it's not the short cut. Do you think there would be any issues using it as opposed to the sc?

The only difference should be the size of the powder pellets, burn rate and pressure should remain the same, sc is just easier to work with.

I use Retumbo in my 6/250AI alittle bit. The cases are fairly similar (the shoulder is a little shorter), and I'm working with 105 AMAX bullets. I'd start with 42.5 grains and creep my way upwards. (44.3 grains is my sweet spot with this powder). But my best groups right now come with 4831SC and the same bullet at just under 3100 fps. H1000 seems to also work well with the same bullet. I did some 115's, but cannot find the data.
gary

Dont mean to hijack, but will a Berger 115 stabilize in a 1/8 twist?

That's definitely a good question as I am running an 8 twist as well. I'm hoping that the 243AI can push them hard enough to stabilize so we'll see. I have no problem dropping to the 105's but would prefer to use the heaviest bullet I can!

Last edited:
Not like it should it was designed for a 7 twist but it'll do ok running it 150fps faster in an 8.

Well I wound up finding some information saying to start at 47 grains so that's what I'll do while increasing in 1/2 grain increments and see what happens. Once I get some more cases blown out, I'll do an extensive load development.

50 gr Retumbo with the 115 bergers is my pet load out of a 28" 7.5" twist Kreiger. Gives me 3150. I have gone up to 51.5 grains, but 50 is where she likes them. And it is a little tough to seat those long bullets when you go over about 50.5 grains.

Great, thanks for the info guys. I'll be finished fire forming cases this weekend so hopefully I can out this data to use shortly. What is your OAL to the ogive when seating the 115's? Also, will I need a drop tube to get the powder in the case? If so where can I acquire such a thing? Thanks for the help guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.