243 AI problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 115654
  • Start date
That's what FL sizing does. It allows just enough clearance so the bolt closes with zero resistance. I shoot several ackley chambers and use to only neck size. That's ok for the first few loadings but eventually it'll catch up to you. FL neck bushing dies are all I use now. I don't use the button on the stem. I don't like opening up the neck and tightening when it's not necessary. Just sizing it down .002-004 smaller than the loaded round is plenty.

Again, on a bench/varmint gun I don't mind a bit of resistance dropping the bolt. If it becomes an issue, I have a Redding 243 AI body die. I don't use the neck expander either.

Again, on a bench/varmint gun I don't mind a bit of resistance dropping the bolt. If it becomes an issue, I have a Redding 243 AI body die. I don't use the neck expander either.
Wasn't sure what your use was with the gun. I've had issues with that in deer rifles. Bench/varmint isn't as much a concern. Good luck, hope you figure out what works best

Re: Harry: In 1901 C.W. Rowland shot a record group of .722" inches for 10 shots at 200 yards. This was shot with a 32-40 and this record stood for over 100 years! He used the same fireformed case for every shot.

Now you want to school me on the YB-49 or 737 Max ?

Redding makes the neck bushing dies for those of us who are shooting factory chambers.

FL sizing is fine if you have a match grade chamber with matched custom dies OR have a hunting rifle that you want to work all the time every time.

For a bench/varmint rifle I gain nothing by making the shoulder diameter several thou less than a fireformed case.

BTW, I spoke w/Redding and they say what I'm seeing is 100% fine and normal.
If you have no problem with a slightly tight chamber and possibly an issue with the bolt not closing, you will see the best accuracy with fire formed brass that's not sized other than neck tension. I just can't afford the issues if on a hunt. I do it with my 22-250 AI and never have issues.

That resistance dropping the bolt IS
the issue. All the brass don't grow at the same exact rate and there starts to be inconsistent pieces that close with different amounts of force. These cause vertical in groups. By bringing that shoulder back a bit this varience is eliminated. But as I said before I don't tell people how they have to do it. If it's working for you then do it.
Shep

When I hunt big game, I use new cases fully prepped and FL sized. "Minute" of big game is 9".

That resistance dropping the bolt IS
the issue. All the brass don't grow at the same exact rate and there starts to be inconsistent pieces that close with different amounts of force. These cause vertical in groups. By bringing that shoulder back a bit this varience is eliminated. But as I said before I don't tell people how they have to do it. If it's working for you then do it.
Shep

You mean like this ? El Cheapo Ruger American 6.5 CM w/VX2 3-9. 4th reload in Lee collet die.

Version 2.jpeg

And your rifle cost ? and your glass is ?

But enough, you win. I'm done.

I use some Lee collet dies on some of my match rifles. But only after full length sizing with the bushing removed. That collet die makes some really straight necks. I also think the ruger american has the best action ruger has ever made on them. My friend has one in 6.5creed that shoots 3/8 inch with factory 143eldx. Everyone on the site is a winner from threads like this. My way works for me and your way works for you. Lesson is if it's not broken don't fix it but do know what to try if it does break.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.