243 AI problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 115654
  • Start date
Pull the de-cap rod out of the die and use a Lee universal de-capping die for that part? I've gone to doing it this way. Adds a step to the process, but I find that I'm preferring it.

I already had them and have done it per the instructions.

The issue is/was that with everything set up EXACTLY per Redding instructions, the bushing was not sizing the whole neck. It appears that is of no concern.
One member states it's more accurate for him to only size half the neck. Being anal as I am, I size the entire neck. My gunsmith cut me a bushing that is long enough to size the entire neck to the shoulder. For me, no accuracy change. Tension tends to be the difference in accuracy in my case.

Here ya go so you don't have to wait Anymore. Neck sizing dies are great. Just not great for reloading.
Shep
Everything's great when reloading is going ok. Then it's not. Some prefer FL dies some FL bushing dies. There's no discernable difference accuracy wise, only brass life shortens when the necks are stretched too much. I use both dies but prefer FL bushing dies to eliminate that issue. To each there own I guess. Not sure besides that small issue that it makes much difference till you run into what the OP is questioning.

Hmm. So I have a case fireformed to the chamber and now I am going to make it smaller and shorter it sloppy in the chamber. Harry Pope would disagree.

Yes shorter and smaller. No not sloppy. .001 to .002 is not sloppy. You want to shoot 3 inch groups at 1000 yards do what the best do. You want to shoot one hole at 1 and 200 yards do what the best do. You want to shoot 1 inch at 600 do what the best do. It's definitely not neck sizing. But I wouldn't tell anyone not to do what works for them. If it works for you do it.
Referencing Harry Pope would be like saying the Wright Brothers knew more about airplanes than Boeing or Northrup.
Shep

Re: Harry: In 1901 C.W. Rowland shot a record group of .722" inches for 10 shots at 200 yards. This was shot with a 32-40 and this record stood for over 100 years! He used the same fireformed case for every shot.

Now you want to school me on the YB-49 or 737 Max ?

Redding makes the neck bushing dies for those of us who are shooting factory chambers.

FL sizing is fine if you have a match grade chamber with matched custom dies OR have a hunting rifle that you want to work all the time every time.

For a bench/varmint rifle I gain nothing by making the shoulder diameter several thou less than a fireformed case.

BTW, I spoke w/Redding and they say what I'm seeing is 100% fine and normal.

Hmm. So I have a case fireformed to the chamber and now I am going to make it smaller and shorter it sloppy in the chamber. Harry Pope would disagree.
That's what FL sizing does. It allows just enough clearance so the bolt closes with zero resistance. I shoot several ackley chambers and use to only neck size. That's ok for the first few loadings but eventually it'll catch up to you. FL neck bushing dies are all I use now. I don't use the button on the stem. I don't like opening up the neck and tightening when it's not necessary. Just sizing it down .002-004 smaller than the loaded round is plenty.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.