243 ai crush fit issue

No, you should not have a ring in the chamber, he needs to set it back far enough to take that out as well as I doubt it would polish out satisfactory if you can catch a tool on it.
I do not make mine a mirror finish, they are that way after reaming so I rough them up with 400 grit for a few passes and it take the shine of but they are smooth as a babies butt.

Absolutely not acceptable for a custom work chambering. It should have like a 400 -600 grit finish. You need something for the brass to 'grab' when fired to keep bolt thrust down.
Have him cut the shoulder back and re-chamber that barrel.

I am beginning to worry that my brand new 25.5 inch tube is gonna be about 14 inches long by the time this is right........realistically, should a guy cut his losses, lose his money and go lay out the cash elsewhere?

....this is getting ridiculous.....

shoulda just taken it to the local guy here in town. He did my Rem .308 and it shoots great but I thought that since this was my first real super-custom wonder gun that I should take it to a well regarded benchrest grade smith......

Jamie

I think you should at least talk to the local guy and see what he would say/charge to cut re-chamber.
Give him your tale of woo, beg forgiveness and he may just do it for what your time and fuel is worth to the other guy.

Things happen, BUT cutting a chamber is where there is no acceptable excuses. There is only .0005 max runout acceptable. And no tooling marks, possibly due to lack of not using a lot of lubricant. As for the Finish a few of us already gave you info.

Hang in there you'll get it squared away.

Just take it back to him and talk it over with him, you getting some horrible internet advice with this project, I would just keep it between you and him and get it taken care of to do what your wanting to get done!!

Any smith that makes 1 of the mistakes this smith made will NEVER see me again. Let alone all of them.

He should be the one to KNOW how to do the job right, properly verify that he did it right, discover any issues long before he speaks to me and have a proposal on how to fix any screwups when he finds them. That is precisely why it is so hard to find a smith one can trust since there are so many shady characters out there turning your gold into garbage.

One of the commercial vendors on this site also messed up a chamber on a blank I bought, would not admit to it for weeks (long past due date), and finally (more or less) refused to replace the blank in any reasonable amount of time (I waited for months) and ultimately was confrontational about the whole deal. I did get my money (and my untouched rifle) back and had to cool off for a few more months before trying it again with a different source. Shilen made me a full custom barrel as I wanted it and finished the entire job in less than 3 months which was about half the time I wasted with the first vendor, and of course it was perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.