.243 ackley

jacack

just wondering what people thought of this round.I have a 700SA that needs a new barrel and I have a surplus of .243 lupua that is just collecting dust.I was thinking of a 1/8 twist to shoot the 107 MK's and maybe some 95 nosler BT for some deer hunting

any thoughts??

Jared

The cartridge is outstanding. We routinely kill deer and antelope out to 1000 yards with this cartridge. The accuracy is amazing, Doc has shot many sub one inch groups at 600 yards with the .243 improved that I built for him. I have also built a number of these on Remington's and on AR-10s. They all shoot one third MOA. For hunting at long-range we prefer the Hornady 105 Amax with about 51.5 gr. of RL - 25.

The terminal effect of the 105 Hornady is superior to the Sierra at long-range, inside 400 yards both bullets are more than adequate.
wink.gif

S1, what kind of performance do you think you would get from that A-Max out of a 6-284 rifle out to say a thousand on coyotes? How about at the reduced velocity of an XP pistol (17")?

Hi S1, and SS Coyote.

I have two Lilja Barrels coming in 6mm. One is a 1:8 twist 30" fluted HB (not sure of contour, but he said he was going heavier than the factory HB that was on the rifle before). This barrel will go on a trued and pillar bedded Ruger M77 Varmint rifle that has always shot amazing for me and despite all my firends telling me to sell it to get a remington, it is a rifle that I will never sell. I think they are all just jealous and want me to end up with a gun that doesn't shoot as well to equalize the playing field.
wink.gif

The other is a 1:8 twist 27" #2 contour that is to go on a model 7.

I currently have about 500 6mm Remington brass, 300 of which have only been fired once or twice.

I will use a single shot follower on the varmint to use heavy 105's or 107's for the most part. This will be mainly for long range varmints and perhaps paper. Bill Wylde used a 6mm Remington shooting 107's to win the World F-Class championships in Canada a few years back. I plan to pick up F-Class again this year.

The model 7 will be a carry rifle for varmints (mostly coyotes, corws, some gophers and Pdogs inside 400 yards) and possibly deer and antelope size critter and longish ranges. I have other rifles more suitable for this and will only use this if I want something exceptionally light. It will rarely shoot more than two shots in a row from the light barrel. I'll likely want to throat it so I can feed both 55 and 105-107 grain pills from the magazine. I'm not sure if that's possible. Probably easier with a shorter cartridge like 6 BR. I was considering rechambering the the 7 in the 6mm Remington or 6mm Ackley, and the Varmint in something like 6/284, 6mm ackley, 6BR, .243 Ackley, etc.

Anyway, based on these requirements, I'm interested as to what cartridge combinations you suggest, and why. Waiting sucks! Once the chambers are cut and the barrels are installed life can go back to normal. The again, I have a .17 and a .30 cal barrel coming after that.
grin.gif

Just for your refernce, I have a relatively light Remington in .338, and will soon have a .300 Ultra or tomahawk and a .17 remington to choose from so I'm looking to fill the gaps. Thanks!

SSCOYOTE,

I think the performance of the 6-284 with the Amax will be outstanding. I have no experience with barrels shorter than 22 inches, so I cannot answer your question about the 17 inch barrel.

[ 03-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.