243 Ackley Improved Sizing Die

Interesting. I went down and checked my reamer and dies. my chamber was cut by Hart barrels with my ptg reamer labeled 243 ackley imp. My redding dies are marked 243 win imp 40° and work perfectly. I have the bushing fl sizer and competition seater, bot marked alike. I dont have any brass on hand as it was repurposed. Ive never heard of a different version with a 40° shoulder.

Does both your FL sizer and your body die size the same? Or is the decapping die a neck sizes only?
Do you have an idea of what you want?
My .243 Win Imp 40° dies are a bushing neck die, body die, and comp seater.

My .260 Rem Imp 40° FL bushing die should be in this week.

Once it gets in, I will size a couple of the fired .243 AI brass to make sure everything is good. If so, I will reach out to you to sell the .243 Win Imp 40° set I have. Need and Lapua LRP .243 Win brass too? Most are fire formed to .243 AI. I have 100+. I bought 300 new Alpha .260 Rem SRP brass for my build.

To be honest, I would be reaching out to Redding if I were you, and discussing this further. I almost say they miscut your die. Especially since two of us here have the measurements you need with our .243 Win Imp 40° sets.

I have quite a bit of brass but you can go ahead and shoot me a price for dies and the brass separate.

Thank you

Well I saw a set of 243 Akley Imp FL dies on eBay, hard to find. I think I looked at them around 6am and had just been listed so grabbed them right away. Got them in yesterday so resized some brass and they are perfect. Bumping the shoulder just under .002" and reducing the shoulder diameter about .004-.005" as it should be. The weather is turning to crap but will get some ammo loaded and give it a run when I can. As I said before my other 243 Win Imp. 40° body die reduced the shoulder diameter from .260" to .250-.251". When it did that it would move the entire shoulder forward.
I'm happy now.
20211227_183400.jpg
20211227_183400.jpg

It took 13 months to get the dies but they finally got here yesterday. Accurate Arms and Ammo said according to Redding they were backlogged 2-3 months. Just got around to fireforming some brass, too much going on, but impressed so far with the rifle. 3-shot groups at 100 yards.
Timothy Sanders Sr

Attachments

• 20220815_180952.jpg
    20220815_180952.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210327_121556.jpg
    20210327_121556.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20210327_121537.jpg
    20210327_121537.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 35
I had similar results with mine. i used mine for Groundhogs and it loved the sierra 85 hpbt. amazing groups and terminal performance. Longest shot i could take on the property was a 400 yd head shot.

It took 13 months to get the dies but they finally got here yesterday. Accurate Arms and Ammo said according to Redding they were backlogged 2-3 months. Just got around to fireforming some brass, too much going on, but impressed so far with the rifle. 3-shot groups at 100 yards.
Timothy Sanders Sr
Tim,
What you may find, which is not uncommon, is that your fire forming loads will print tighter group that your standard loads with fire formed brass. It's a phenomenon that no one, to my knowledge, has been able to explain. I've broached the subject with several "Ackley" authorities and precision rifle smiths none who can provide a explination other than based on assumptions.
I'm sure your will really enjoy your AI. If you are turning necks just be cautious about the dreaded donut.

Figured I would add to this tread instead of starting a new one. I am also in need of dies for a 243 Ack Imp 40. I posted an iso add then stumbled across this thread. Here is my reamer print. Any help would be awesome.
Thanks

Attachments

• E457E32D-809D-46D3-AE1A-09D235010D4F.jpeg
    E457E32D-809D-46D3-AE1A-09D235010D4F.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 38
Figured I would add to this tread instead of starting a new one. I am also in need of dies for a 243 Ack Imp 40. I posted an iso add then stumbled across this thread. Here is my reamer print. Any help would be awesome.
Thanks
Strange drawing for a .243 AI. Look at the shoulder angle vs the drawing from 08/19. Relative to dies I would buy Wilson neck and seater in .243 Win. and have your gunsmith ream them to AI when he does your barrel. A full length and shoulder bump die is any brand you prefer.

You have any recommendations for a fl sizing die? I fl size every time and use a mandrel for the neck. Wanting to find the best fl sizing die for this reamer. The barrel is a prefit I don't have access to the reamer.

Tim,
What you may find, which is not uncommon, is that your fire forming loads will print tighter group that your standard loads with fire formed brass. It's a phenomenon that no one, to my knowledge, has been able to explain.
I know the answer to this. The expanding brass is absorbing pressure peak. Flattening the pressure peak.
A flat pressure peak is VERY consistent, and dominant, as it forgives/overrides many other variables.

For example, a variance in primer striking or a few powder kernels, or neck tension, etc., means nothing to a pressure peak already flattened by 5Kpsi. The variables are simply lost in that.