.243 A.I.

Jimm

I'm presently putting together a .243 ( actually a rebarrel) So I'mm looking for some pet loads for the .243 A.I> and what rate of twist their used in. thanks ,Jim

I have a 243Ai with a 1-8 twist Hart 26" and absolutly love it , great long range varmint and target caliber with the 105gr A-max or 107gr Sierra Match King its a sweet long range rig out to 1000yds and with a 95gr Nosler Partition its an awsome deer round.
My rig seems to like powders in the 4350 range , its leaning to the VV-N560 real hard. I have run some 75gr Hornady V-max's out of it at max speed ( 3600+fps) with supper accuracy and the pop it puts down range is way high on the splat factor

Thanks JD, what kind of groups are you getting at 500?IMR4350 is one of my favorite powders,how big a pile of does it take to shove the 107 sierra accurately?

This rig seems to hold a true 1/2 MOA out to around 600yds which is the max I've shot it so far , but my best 400yd groups is 1.5" for 5 shots. and that was with 105gr A-max bullets. It shoots the Sierra's well but not as well as the A-max's.
As for the powder , My accuracy load for the 105's is 47.5grs of N-560 which leaves the muzzel at just under 3400fps. the best i get with the 4350 is about 3300fps with a load of around 47-48grs , I'd have to dig out my load books to make sure.
one of the load cards I have here shows a super group with N-550 and a 75gr V-max bullet velocity is at the 3700fps mark.
I did alot of load testing for this rig and used index cards taped to the target so i could later transfer to a load book just haven't yet.

JDJones ,what ,if I might inquire, is your regimen for reloading the brass after initial fireforming?that is ,what dies do you use,how often do you need to go beyond neck sizing etc? Thanks ,Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts